Designing a Holographic Projector with Sound and Laser

In summary, the idea is to create a holographic projector using sound and laser. The projector is created by reflecting reference laser light on a vibrating diaphragm matrix. The diaphragms are vibrated by means of piezoelectric material or quartz like material. Every diaphragm projects a piece of a 3D image in a specific space, therefore, for a 1m^3 image for example, 1000 diaphragms make the matrix, each projecting a 10X10X10cm hologram. The problem is that the reflective material to use, the ultrasonic oscillator and the reference laser's power/frequency/color(s) in order to make the hologram visible. (or maybe
Torakunsama
Greetings to all. In my first post, I'll present an idea based on acoustical holography.

I intend to design a Holographic projector using sound and laser. The hologram is created by reflecting reference laser light on a vibrating diaphragm matrix. The diaphragms are vibrated by means of piezoelectric material or quartz like material. Every diaphragm projects a piece of a 3D image in a specific space, therefore, for a 1m^3 image for example, 1000 diaphragms make the matrix, each projecting a 10X10X10cm hologram.

My biggest problem in this system is: The reflective material to use, the ultrasonic oscillator and the reference laser's power/frequency/color(s) in order to make the hologram visible.
(or maybe if that system is even possible to build).

Peace!

Physics news on Phys.org
Torakunsama said:
Greetings to all. In my first post, I'll present an idea based on acoustical holography.

I intend to design a Holographic projector using sound and laser. The hologram is created by reflecting reference laser light on a vibrating diaphragm matrix. The diaphragms are vibrated by means of piezoelectric material or quartz like material. Every diaphragm projects a piece of a 3D image in a specific space, therefore, for a 1m^3 image for example, 1000 diaphragms make the matrix, each projecting a 10X10X10cm hologram.

My biggest problem in this system is: The reflective material to use, the ultrasonic oscillator and the reference laser's power/frequency/color(s) in order to make the hologram visible.
(or maybe if that system is even possible to build).

Peace!

Lol, this is old stuff, as the MIT media lab have already introduced such a device called the "Mark-4". This thing, like your idea, has a crystal of lithium niobate sandwitched between two piezoelectric transducers. These transducers vibrate in the ultrasonic. They cause the crystal to modulate three lasers as they are passed thru the postage stamp-sized crystal (one R, one G and one B laser for a color display). The modulated laser light then passes thru two HOE's (google it), then falls on a piece of glass with a coating of fine-grained bi-refringent crystals on one side.
The result is a color 3-D moving image. Here's the source:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/18451162/High-Resolution-Spatial-Light-Modulation-for-Holographic-Video

Last edited by a moderator:
I see... Thank you for replying! However, you seem to have misunderstood my concept (maybe not...). The idea is not exactly same as the one mentioned above. The principle is basically the same, is more like generating micro holograms to make one image. The other difference is the display medium. I prefer the hologram to be projected from the projector, to be immediately visible by the naked eye (or by using special glasses) from 360º angle. This might be accomplished by the use a fourth matrix- for spatial distribution of the holograms- projecting HOE's. I could also use the same principle to generate Holographic sound.
I didn't say I'm inventing a projector, but designing...
I know lasers have been around for decades and people went crazy about them in the 70's. We don't have 360º imagery in our homes today, coz PC's are incapable of computing high quality holograms.

Multi-polar waves...

Actually one powerful way to produce holographic effects is to make electromagnetic waves that have different polarity arrangements called multi-polar waves:
With this technology new audio-visual and other holographic effects can be obtained.

Attachments

• US20080112111 Lensky Multipolar EM.pdf
    460.6 KB · Views: 297
Thanks for the info! Any tip on spatial holography is good for me. I'm just not very confortable to expose humans to EM fields for long hours...
The Holographic projector has to be user friendly, meaning safe. Although EM fields have sterilizing effects, it might prove unsafe to be exposed to it too many hours (is like being on the cellphone the time I spend on the PC.
I'm aiming at full immersion, where the image melds with the user surrounds. To illustrate it, imagine playing an adventure game and then you equip an armor. That armor has to appear around the user... That's why ultrasounds seem pretty much viable to me.

Related to Designing a Holographic Projector with Sound and Laser

1. How does a holographic projector with sound and laser work?

A holographic projector with sound and laser works by using a combination of lasers, mirrors, and diffraction gratings to create a three-dimensional image. The lasers are used to produce an interference pattern, which is then projected onto a surface using mirrors. The sound component is added by using speakers to play audio that is synchronized with the holographic image.

2. What materials are needed to build a holographic projector with sound and laser?

To build a holographic projector with sound and laser, you will need a laser source, mirrors, a diffraction grating, a surface to project the image onto, and speakers for the sound component. You may also need additional materials for the frame and housing of the projector.

3. What are the benefits of using a holographic projector with sound and laser?

A holographic projector with sound and laser offers several benefits. It can create a more immersive and realistic experience for viewers, as the three-dimensional image appears to float in mid-air. It also allows for the combination of visuals and audio, enhancing the overall impact of the presentation. Additionally, it can be used for various applications such as entertainment, education, and advertising.

4. Are there any limitations to using a holographic projector with sound and laser?

While holographic projectors with sound and laser offer many benefits, there are also some limitations. One limitation is that the image size and resolution may be limited by the size and power of the lasers used. Additionally, the viewing angle may be limited, as the hologram may not be visible from certain angles. Finally, the cost of materials and expertise required to build and operate a holographic projector may be a limitation for some individuals or organizations.

5. How can a holographic projector with sound and laser be used in scientific research?

A holographic projector with sound and laser can be used in scientific research in various ways. It can be used to display complex data and models in a more intuitive and interactive manner, making it easier for researchers to analyze and understand. It can also be used for simulations and virtual experiments, providing a more realistic representation of the subject being studied. Furthermore, it can be used for communication and collaboration between researchers in different locations, as the holographic image can be projected in real-time.