Designing a Circuit with Series and Parallel Components

In summary, the task is to draw a circuit diagram with a battery feeding a series combination of resistor 1, capacitor 1, and a parallel combination of resistor 2 and 3. The placement of resistor 3 and the capacitor can be determined by their position in the series or parallel connection. A voltmeter should be placed in series to measure the voltage across resistor 3.
xokekxo

Homework Statement

draw a circuit diagram for a single circuit with the following conditions:
a. resistor one is in series with resistor 2 and 3
b. resistor 2 and 3 are in parallel with each other
c. capacitor one is in series with resistor 1
d. a voltmeter is used to measure the voltage across resistor 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the battery goes to resistor one, and then there is a single line to resistor 2, cause series means one path, but where do I put resistor 3 and the capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
xokekxo said:

Homework Statement

draw a circuit diagram for a single circuit with the following conditions:
a. resistor one is in series with resistor 2 and 3
b. resistor 2 and 3 are in parallel with each other
c. capacitor one is in series with resistor 1
d. a voltmeter is used to measure the voltage across resistor 3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the battery goes to resistor one, and then there is a single line to resistor 2, cause series means one path, but where do I put resistor 3 and the capacitor?

The question is not stated very well. I don't know if the original question has the problem, or it is the re-statement of it here, but I will try to help.

Let me try stating it a bit better.

Draw the following circuit: A battery feeds the following series combination:

R1
C
R2 in parallel with R3

Does that help?

resistor 1,will go to a parallel connection between 2 and 3(will look like a sideways y at the start) like -= the equals is 2 and 3 and the dash is 1... capacitor 1 is before that. voltmeters go in series... that's about as helpful as it gets without someone actually drawing it for you.

Related to Designing a Circuit with Series and Parallel Components

1. What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. It uses symbols to show the components and connections in a circuit, allowing for easier understanding and analysis.

2. Why is it important to draw circuit diagrams?

Drawing circuit diagrams helps to plan and design circuits before they are built. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and identification of potential issues. In addition, it is a universal language used by engineers and scientists to communicate circuit designs.

3. What are the basic symbols used in circuit diagrams?

The basic symbols used in circuit diagrams include a battery, resistor, switch, capacitor, inductor, and various types of wires and lines to represent connections and flow of current.

4. How do I draw a circuit diagram?

To draw a circuit diagram, start by identifying the components you want to include and their connections. Then, use the appropriate symbols to represent each component and draw lines to show the connections between them. Make sure to label each component and use arrows to indicate the direction of current flow.

5. Can I use software to draw circuit diagrams?

Yes, there are many software programs available that allow you to draw circuit diagrams. These programs often have a library of symbols and make it easier to edit and modify the diagram. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of circuit diagrams before using software to ensure accuracy and proper design.