Designing a Bungee Ride: Calculating Energy & Springs

In summary, to calculate the potential energy of a bungee ride, you will need to know the mass of the rider, height of the ride, and acceleration due to gravity. Potential energy is converted into kinetic energy during the ride, with all potential energy being converted into kinetic energy at the bottom. The spring constant affects the design of the ride by determining the stiffness of the bungee cord. The length of the bungee cord is determined by the height of the ride and desired spring constant for a safe and thrilling ride. Safety measures such as using high-quality materials, regular maintenance, and emergency procedures should be considered when designing a bungee ride.
audi476
i realize that this is a common question, but i have a partner for this assignment and she's doing something different than me. i just want to make sure I'm not off base

the assignment is to design a bungee ride. the problem involves someone being launched from 150 ft above the ground and having to miss an obstacle 15 feet below the launch point

this is how i worked this:

i realize using conservation of energy, the man will jump from 150 and have some potential energy, and this potential energy should be converted into spring energy at the end of the jump. i also realize that i can't convert it all into spring energy or he'd smack into the ground, so i do have some potential energy left in the equation. but using this equation, he would ideally rebound to the full height, disregarding irreversibilities with the environment (i.e. friction).

what i did is i made the jump occur from 165 feet above the ground, and worked a COE equation to find a value of K (spring constant). the equation looked like this (with the weight of the man being 300 pounds).

mgh1 = mgh2 + .5kx^2
(300)(170) = (300)(10) + .5k(100^2)

"10" is the height i want him to stop above the ground (i realize i can eliminate this by taking this point to be the datum, but i don't want to), and "100" is the stretched length of the bungee.

so, for the man to rebound to a point 15 feet below the initial jump, i reworked the equation using a jump height of 150 (instead of 170) and found what the remaining amount of potential would be. the remaining amount is exactly equal to the amount of potential energy he loses in that 15 feet.

does this make sense? my partner did something using integrals, but i think that all might be a bit unnecessary

thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach to designing a bungee ride. Your use of the conservation of energy principle is a good starting point for this problem. However, I would like to point out a few things that you may want to consider.

Firstly, the equation you have used is correct for finding the spring constant, but it does not take into account the fact that the bungee cord will stretch during the jump. This will affect the value of the spring constant and the final rebound height. To account for this, you can use the equation for the potential energy of a spring, which takes into account the displacement of the spring, instead of the stretched length.

Secondly, using a jump height of 165 feet and expecting the person to rebound to the full height may not be realistic. In real life, there will always be some energy lost due to friction and air resistance, so the person will not rebound to the full height. You may want to consider using a smaller jump height and taking into account the energy lost during the jump.

Lastly, your partner's approach using integrals may be more accurate as it takes into account the varying forces and displacement of the bungee cord during the jump. However, it does involve more complex calculations and may not be necessary for this simple problem.

In summary, your approach using the conservation of energy principle is a good starting point, but you may want to consider the factors mentioned above to make your design more accurate. Good luck with your project!

Your approach to designing a bungee ride using conservation of energy and spring energy is correct. By setting the jump height to 165 feet and solving for the spring constant, you have found the ideal amount of energy that needs to be stored in the spring in order for the person to rebound to the full height.

To ensure that the person safely misses the obstacle 15 feet below the launch point, you have correctly reworked the equation using a jump height of 150 feet and found the remaining potential energy. This remaining potential energy should be equal to the energy lost during the 15-foot descent, ensuring that the person safely stops above the ground.

Your partner's approach using integrals may be a more advanced method, but your method is still valid and effective. As long as you both reach the same conclusion and your calculations are accurate, both methods are acceptable. Good job on designing the bungee ride and considering the safety of the person jumping!

Related to Designing a Bungee Ride: Calculating Energy & Springs

1. How do you calculate the potential energy of a bungee ride?

To calculate the potential energy of a bungee ride, you will need to know the mass of the rider, the height of the ride, and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for potential energy is: PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula to calculate the potential energy.

2. What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy in a bungee ride?

In a bungee ride, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. As the rider falls from the top of the ride, their potential energy decreases while their kinetic energy increases. At the bottom of the ride, all of the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. This is why riders experience a sudden increase in speed as they reach the bottom of the ride.

3. How does the spring constant affect the design of a bungee ride?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, affects the amount of force needed to stretch or compress the spring. In a bungee ride, the spring constant of the bungee cord must be carefully chosen to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride. A higher spring constant will result in a stiffer cord, providing a more intense ride, while a lower spring constant will result in a more gentle ride.

4. How do you determine the length of the bungee cord for a safe and thrilling ride?

The length of the bungee cord is determined by the height of the ride and the desired spring constant. The spring constant will dictate the stiffness of the cord, while the height of the ride will affect how much the cord can stretch. To ensure a safe and thrilling ride, the length of the bungee cord must be calculated carefully to allow for enough stretch and deceleration before the rider reaches the ground.

5. What safety measures should be considered when designing a bungee ride?

There are several safety measures that should be considered when designing a bungee ride. These include using high-quality materials, regularly inspecting and maintaining the ride, having proper safety harnesses and attachments for riders, and having emergency procedures in place. It is also important to carefully calculate the potential energy and length of the bungee cord to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride for all participants.