Design of an automobile bumper

In summary, the weight of the car is 3702lbs and the task is to calculate the kinetic energy of the car traveling at 5 mi/h. The project also involves determining the number of springs and their coefficient needed to stop the car in a 6" crumple zone. The calculated kinetic energy is 3091.38 ft-lb and the author is unsure if the energy should be treated as double and divided over the 4 springs being used.
James22

Homework Statement

I have posted the assignment hand out. The weight of the car will be 3702lbs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Right now I am overwhelmed with this project, I am not really sure where to start. Here is my thoughts on where to start.

The weight of the car will be 3702lbs. I think I need to find the kinetic energy of the automobile traveling at 5 mi/h. Now knowing the kinetic energy, would the next step be to decide upon the number of springs and their coefficient needed to stop the auto in 3" or slightly more?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this seems elementary. Dynamics related work doesn't come easy to me to say the least.

Attachments

• bumperassignment.JPG
    bumperassignment.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
I worked on this project some more and calculated the kinetic energy as;

E=1/2 mv^2
0.5 x (3702/32.2) x 7.33ft/s^2 = 3091.38 ft-lb

I have chosen to use a 6" crumple zone and 4 springs to absorb the impact.

This is where I run into trouble trying to get my head around the concept.

I know for the spring
U=0.5*k*s^2

where;
k = Spring co-efficient
s = spring displacement

Since I am trying to stop the car in 6" do I have to treat the kinetic energy as double? Then divide it over the 4 springs that I will be using to stop the car?

Thanks,
Kyle

Related to Design of an automobile bumper

1. How is the design of an automobile bumper determined?

The design of an automobile bumper is determined through a combination of factors. These include government regulations for safety and emissions, manufacturer's specifications for the vehicle, and consumer demand for style and functionality.

2. What materials are commonly used in the design of an automobile bumper?

The most commonly used materials in the design of an automobile bumper are plastic, steel, and aluminum. These materials are chosen for their durability, lightweight properties, and ability to absorb impact in the event of a collision.

3. What considerations are taken into account when designing an automobile bumper for different types of vehicles?

When designing an automobile bumper for different types of vehicles, factors such as the vehicle's size, weight, and intended use are taken into account. For example, a bumper for a large truck may need to be stronger and more heavy-duty compared to a bumper for a small sedan.

4. How do advancements in technology impact the design of automobile bumpers?

Advancements in technology, such as the use of computer-aided design (CAD) software and new materials, have greatly impacted the design of automobile bumpers. These advancements allow for more precise and efficient designs, as well as the use of lighter and stronger materials.

5. What is the purpose of an automobile bumper besides aesthetics?

The main purpose of an automobile bumper is to protect the vehicle and its occupants in the event of a collision. It is designed to absorb impact and minimize damage to the vehicle's body and other components. Bumpers also serve to improve aerodynamics and increase fuel efficiency.