Design -- horizontal I-beam with center loading....

In summary, the conversation discusses applying a 1-ton point load on a horizontally placed i-beam and running a stress analysis on it using ANSYS. The question arises of how to determine if the resulting deflection value is good or bad. It is suggested that if the simulation result agrees with an analytical solution, it is considered good. However, there are also code requirements and engineering judgment that should be taken into consideration. It is recommended to seek validation from a qualified engineer.
Shady99
I have an i-beam placed horizontally and i want to apply 1 ton point load on its center. Now i will run a stress analysis on ansys on it and will get the displacement in the beam on the mentioned load. How will i know tht the displacement value i am getting is good or bad?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes it is. But i am asking tht when i find the deflection. How would i know that the deflection value is good or bad?

Shady99 said:
Yes it is. But i am asking tht when i find the deflection. How would i know that the deflection value is good or bad?
If your simulation result agrees with an analytic solution then it's good.

Thts alrite. I find deflection analytically and thru ansys and both values validate each other. But tht wud not be the measure tht specific amount of deflection is good for the beam or not ?

I beams are generally used in applications where only very small deflections are acceptable .

0.33% of beam length between supports is a commonly used limit for general engineering .

There are code requirements for maximum deflection of beams used in structural engineering .

Really though it is a matter of engineering judgement - what deflection is acceptable for your application ?

In any case I strongly advise you to get a qualified engineer to validate your design .

“0.33 % of beam length”.can you please tell me the source of this info?

Related to Design -- horizontal I-beam with center loading....

What is a horizontal I-beam with center loading?

A horizontal I-beam with center loading is a structural element commonly used in construction to support heavy loads, such as floors, roofs, and bridges. It is made up of two horizontal flanges connected by a vertical web, creating an "I" shape.

What are the advantages of using a horizontal I-beam with center loading?

One advantage of using a horizontal I-beam with center loading is its high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing it to support heavy loads without being too bulky. It also distributes the load evenly along its length, making it ideal for center loading situations.

How is a horizontal I-beam with center loading designed?

The design of a horizontal I-beam with center loading takes into account the anticipated load, the span of the beam, and the properties of the materials used. Engineers use mathematical calculations and computer programs to determine the necessary dimensions and reinforcement needed for the beam.

What materials are commonly used to construct a horizontal I-beam with center loading?

The most commonly used materials for constructing horizontal I-beams with center loading are steel and wood. Steel is preferred for its strength and durability, while wood is a more cost-effective option for smaller loads.

What factors should be considered when selecting a horizontal I-beam with center loading for a project?

When selecting a horizontal I-beam with center loading, factors such as the anticipated load, span of the beam, and budget should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the beam meets all necessary building codes and regulations for the specific project.