Design FM Receiver Circuit | 144-146Mhz Frequency Range

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an FM receiver circuit for the frequency range of 144-146Mhz and suggests using the MC3359 chip for double conversion. The speaker also mentions the need for a stable first conversion oscillator and a 455 KHz quadrature coil for demodulation. It is noted that this circuit will be more complicated and costly than a standard FM broadcast receiver. The topic of using the TDA 7000 IC is brought up, but it is not suitable for the desired frequency range. The speaker suggests using a mixer to lower the incoming frequency and mentions the SA605 as an alternative to the MC3359.
aeterminator1
I want to design a fm receiver circuit for the frequency range of 144-146Mhz.Kindly suggest me a suitable ic for the same.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One IC for a complete receiver in this range? What kind of receiver performance are you looking for? It just so happens I have a bit of experience in this area.

Because narrow band FM (NBFM) is used on 144 MHz you can't use the standard 10.7 MHz IF directly.

I think all 'proper (sensitive)' NBFM receivers use double conversion to 10.7 MHz and then 455 KHz. You need a 11.155 MHz Xtal oscillator (10.7 + 0.455) OR 10.245 (10.7 - 0.455)

There is a circiuit here... Based on the MC3359 chip.

http://www.radioshop.co.uk/tech_articles/2mrx.htm

Also you need a narrow 10.7 MHz filter and a suitable 455 KHz one. As it is narrow band you need a much more stable first conversion oscillator...either Xtal controlled or synthesised. You need a 455 KHz quadrature coil for the de-modulation.

All in all it will be a far more complicated receiver than an FM broadcast one and cost considerably more.

Last edited:
i need to design the circuit to decode a morse code which will be transmitted in this range,the IC TDA 7000 does not satisfy the frequency range criteria.It works in the range of 70 to 120 MHz range. Can i use a mixer to lower the incoming frequency to this range and than use it?

Also check out the SA605 it's very similar to MC3359. It has a nice LNA on board, oscillator, mixer, and FM demodulator if needed.

Related to Design FM Receiver Circuit | 144-146Mhz Frequency Range

1. What is an FM receiver circuit?

An FM receiver circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to receive and demodulate FM (frequency modulation) radio signals. It is a crucial component of radio communication systems, allowing users to tune in to specific frequencies and listen to radio stations.

2. What is the frequency range of the Design FM Receiver Circuit?

The Design FM Receiver Circuit is designed to operate within the frequency range of 144-146Mhz. This frequency range is specifically used for amateur radio communications and is known as the 2-meter band.

3. What components are needed to build a Design FM Receiver Circuit?

The components needed to build a Design FM Receiver Circuit include an FM receiver IC, an antenna, a tuning capacitor, an audio amplifier, a power supply, and various resistors and capacitors for circuit protection and stability.

4. How does the Design FM Receiver Circuit work?

The Design FM Receiver Circuit works by using an antenna to capture FM radio signals and converting them into electrical signals. These signals are then amplified and filtered before being demodulated by the FM receiver IC. The demodulated audio signals are then amplified and output through the audio amplifier for the user to hear.

5. Can the Design FM Receiver Circuit be used for other frequency ranges?

While the Design FM Receiver Circuit is specifically designed for the 144-146Mhz frequency range, it can potentially be modified to work with other frequency ranges. However, this would require changing the components and tuning the circuit accordingly.