Design Dynamic Reciprocating Pump Engine with Variable Stroke Length

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a reciprocating pump engine with a dynamic stroke length. The individual is seeking ideas for altering the stroke length and is concerned about balance and vibration. Suggestions include using a VFD to adjust RPM and considering existing patents for similar designs.
Setix
Hey guys,

I'm trying to design a reciprocating pump engine with a dynamic stroke length.

basically something like this: http://www.animatedsoftware.com/pics/pumps/animpist.gif"

However I wish the stroke length to be variable and dynamic. The only way I have found so far is the change the r value from the origin of the wheel to the connecting rod. The issue I'm running into is one of balance. If I use a linear actuator or some such to change the r value the wheel will not be balanced and cause vibration.

anyone else got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Setix. Couple thoughts...
- Why change stroke length? The only significant change to the process is to change flow rate. Note here I'm assuming by "pump" you mean liquid displacement, not gas, which would be "compression". Since the only alteration is flow rate, you could just as easily alter RPM using a VFD. Granted, sometimes a VFD isn't practical due to other issues, but generally a VFD is the most economical and practical solution to variable flow recip pumps.
- The second question is simply, why are you concerned with balance/vibration. I design recip pumps for a living that go to 10,000 psi and at rates up to ~ 50 GPM for a single cylinder. There are 2 primary balancing considerations in such pumps, the rotational one (primary) and the reciprocating load (secondary). If you devise a method of adjusting stroke length, I have to believe it's something you could adapt to also adjust your rotational counterweights. That said, most of these 'smaller' reciprocating pumps such as I design, hardly need any balancing because the dynamic load is fairly small. If you're off a bit on the balance, no big deal. Note this is common for the industry.
- If the intent of varying stroke length is critical to the design, have you done a patent search? There are a number of patents on this type of design already and if you're seriously designing something like this, you need to be aware of what's being done in the field.

Related to Design Dynamic Reciprocating Pump Engine with Variable Stroke Length

1. What is a dynamic reciprocating pump engine?

A dynamic reciprocating pump engine is a type of pump that uses a reciprocating motion to transfer fluid from one place to another. It typically consists of a piston, cylinder, and valves that work together to create suction and discharge of the fluid.

2. How does a variable stroke length affect the performance of the pump engine?

The stroke length refers to the distance the piston travels in the cylinder during each cycle. By varying the stroke length, the pump engine can adjust the amount of fluid being transferred, making it more efficient and adaptable to different flow rates and pressures.

3. What are the benefits of designing a dynamic reciprocating pump engine with a variable stroke length?

Designing a pump engine with a variable stroke length allows for more control and flexibility in the pump's operation. It can help improve efficiency, reduce wear and tear on the parts, and increase the pump's lifespan. It also allows for better adaptability to changing operating conditions.

4. How is the stroke length adjusted in a dynamic reciprocating pump engine?

The stroke length can be adjusted by changing the position of the crankshaft or by using a variable speed drive to control the pump's motor. The specific method of adjustment will depend on the design of the pump engine.

5. What are the common applications of a dynamic reciprocating pump engine with a variable stroke length?

This type of pump engine is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and water treatment. It is suitable for transferring a wide range of fluids, including liquids, gases, and slurries, making it a versatile and widely used pump in various industrial processes.