Design a 5-bit Binary Counter for Homework Equations - No Quotation Marks

In summary, the conversation discusses designing counters that count in specific patterns and the question of which type of counter to use. The solution involves using a 5-bit binary counter with an AND gate and converting the output using logic gates for the second pattern. It is also important to note that the FFs reset input should be triggered by the input of 1 rather than the count of 23.
Hala91

Homework Statement

1)Design a counter that counts from 0 to 23 Then resets?
2)design a counter that counts as shown below:
(1)to(5)to(7)to(8)to(2)to(3)to(6)to(4)
in another way:
1-5-7-8-2-3-6-4

Homework Equations

I didn't know weather to use:
1)5-bit synchronous binary counter
2)5-bit synchronous Decade counter
3)5-bit asynchronous binary counter
4)5-bit asynchronous Decade counter
Please Help I need to solve them so bad :cry:

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1)using a 5-bit binary counter and an AND gate on the outputs to detect when the count of 23 (10111) is reached
Q2)3-bit binary counter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hala91 said:

Homework Statement

1)Design a counter that counts from 0 to 23 Then resets?
2)design a counter that counts as shown below:
(1)to(5)to(7)to(8)to(2)to(3)to(6)to(4)
in another way:
1-5-7-8-2-3-6-4

Homework Equations

I didn't know weather to use:
1)5-bit synchronous binary counter
2)5-bit synchronous Decade counter
3)5-bit asynchronous binary counter
4)5-bit asynchronous Decade counter
Please Help I need to solve them so bad :cry:

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1)using a 5-bit binary counter and an AND gate on the outputs to detect when the count of 23 (10111) is reached
Q2)3-bit binary counter

You have the right approach for both. In the 2nd one, you will want to use gates to convert the output of the 3-bit counter to the desired numbers. Write a table of the conversion values, do the K-maps, and make the gate logic for the bits of the final output values.

Well I have just solved the first question but I'm having trouble with the second one...
Thanks A lot :)

BTW, on the first question. Remember that FFs reset input is asynchronous, so you don't want to reset on the count of 23...

with a preset sequence of 1-5-7-8-2-3-6-4, and then using a flip-flop to reset the counter back to 1 after reaching 4. Alternatively, a 5-bit synchronous decade counter with a preset sequence of 1-5-7-8-2-3-6-4 could also be used.

Related to Design a 5-bit Binary Counter for Homework Equations - No Quotation Marks

What is a counter and why is it important for design?

A counter is a visual tool used to keep track of a specific number or quantity. In design, counters are important for creating balance, establishing a visual hierarchy, and guiding the viewer's eye.

What are the different types of counters used in design?

There are several types of counters used in design, including numbers, dots, lines, and shapes. Each type can convey a different meaning or serve a specific purpose in the design.

How do you determine the appropriate size and placement of a counter in a design?

The size and placement of a counter should be determined by the overall design composition and the purpose of the counter. A larger size and prominent placement can draw attention, while a smaller size and subtle placement can create balance and harmony.

What are some best practices for using counters in design?

Some best practices for using counters in design include keeping them simple and easy to read, using consistent styling and alignment, and avoiding overcrowding or cluttering the design with too many counters.

How can counters be used to enhance the user experience in design?

Counters can enhance the user experience in design by providing visual cues, highlighting important information, and creating a sense of organization and structure in the design. They can also be used to create a sense of interactivity and engagement for the viewer.