Design a 4:2 priority encoder with active low and enable

In summary, the conversation is discussing the design of a 4-2 priority encoder with active low inputs and an enable function. The purpose of the enable input is to prevent the outputs from transitioning when the inputs are changing. It is commonly implemented using 2-input AND gates, with one input as the enable and the other as the control signal. The truth table provided is missing the line where all inputs are high, and it is unclear what the output should be in this case. The confusion also lies in the fact that the truth table shows the outputs as don't cares when the enable is low, but then assumes their correct values when the enable goes high. It is important to clarify the desired behavior of the enable function in order to properly
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

Design a 4-2 priority encoder with active low and enable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work , but I don't know how to connect the enable input.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !
1.png

2.png

##A = \overline{I2}+\overline{I3}##
3.png

##B=\overline{I3}+I2\overline{I1}##
Capture.png

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 478
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,826
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1,013 bytes · Views: 1,411
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,302
  • Capture.png
    Capture.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,307
Physics news on Phys.org
Fatima Hasan said:

Homework Statement

Design a 4-2 priority encoder with active low and enable.
Active low what? Active low inputs?

And for an asynchronous circuit, what would an enable do? One function might be to clock the new outputs into output latches, but you would need to expand on the problem statement to be sure...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_encoder

berkeman said:
Active low inputs?
Yes.

And can you expand on how enable inputs have been used so far in the circuits you've been studying? What are they usually used for? How are they often implemented?

BTW, if you are to use active low inputs, does that mean that the enable input should be active low as well? Right now your truth table has the enable input active high...

berkeman said:
And can you expand on how enable inputs have been used so far in the circuits you've been studying? What are they usually used for? How are they often implemented?
It allows a signal to pass when the control signal is high.
Use 2-input AND gate , one input as the enable and the other one as the control signal.

Well, that can be one use of an asynchronouse enable signal. I guess it's up to what you are covering in class right now. At least for me, and enable signal is used to keep the outputs of a circuit block from transitioning when they should not be changing. For example, depending on the delays in that priority encoder, when the inputs change, the output may not change directly to their new value. They may be scrambled temporarily as the input signals change and the delays through different parts of the circuit present strange code combinations to the later gates. So an enable signal could be used to hold the outputs at their current value until the input circuit is stabilized, and then the enable would gate the new values through to the outputs. You can use transparent latches for such a function, for example.

I'm definitely confused by the truth table saying that the outputs are don't cares when the enable signal is low, and then the outputs assume their correct values when the enable goes high. It would make more sense to me to say that the outputs held their previous values when the enable is low, and then assume the new output values based on the new inputs when the enable input goes high. That's where the output transparent latch structures would come in. Maybe ask your TA what is wanted for the enable function?

BTW, it looks like your truth table is missing the line where all inputs are = 1. What is the traditional output of a priority encoder with active low inputs when all inputs are high?

berkeman said:
BTW, it looks like your truth table is missing the line where all inputs are = 1. What is the traditional output of a priority encoder with active low inputs when all inputs are high?
The output = XX.

Fatima Hasan said:
The output = XX.
But you don't have a line where EN=1 and IN=1111...

berkeman said:
I'd definitely confused by the truth table saying that the outputs are don't cares when the enable signal is low, and then the outputs assume their correct values when the enable goes high.
As I know that if the first row is all 1? We don’t put it in the design. And we don't put the enable with the priority encoder. That's why I don't know how to connect the enable when I design the priority encoder.And I am not sure if the “enable” is high or low?
We just use 4 inputs and 2 outputs and design.

Last edited:

Related to Design a 4:2 priority encoder with active low and enable

1. What is a 4:2 priority encoder?

A 4:2 priority encoder is a digital circuit that takes in four inputs and encodes them into a two-bit binary code based on their priority. The highest priority input is encoded as "11", the next highest as "10", and so on.

2. What does "active low" mean in the context of a priority encoder?

In a priority encoder, "active low" refers to the logic level at which the input is considered active. In this case, "active low" means that the input is considered active when it is at a logic low (0) level.

3. How does a priority encoder work?

A priority encoder works by comparing the inputs and determining the highest priority input. The output bits are then set according to the priority of the input, with the highest priority input being encoded as "11". The enable input allows the circuit to be turned on and off, depending on whether it is needed.

4. What is the purpose of a priority encoder?

A priority encoder is used in digital systems to prioritize multiple inputs and encode them into a binary code. This is useful in applications where there are multiple inputs that need to be processed in a specific order, such as in a computer processor or a traffic light control system.

5. How do you design a 4:2 priority encoder with active low and enable?

To design a 4:2 priority encoder with active low and enable, you would need to use a combination of logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. The inputs would be connected to the gates in a way that compares their priority and determines the output bits accordingly. The enable input would be connected to the gates in a way that allows the circuit to be turned on and off as needed.