Describing electromagnetic radiation, why is there a second sin term?

In summary, the formula for describing EM waves includes two sine terms, Eo*sin(2πx/λ) and sin(2πc/λ), with c being the speed of light and λ being the wavelength. The purpose of the second sine term is to represent the time component of the wave. Some sources may provide a derivation of this equation to help with understanding.
daselocution

Homework Statement

Hey all,
I am working through a derivation that my professor gave me to do and I am having trouble understanding one of the formulas that he gave me, namely:

"EM waves can be described as:
E(x, t) = Eosin(2πx/λ)*sin(2πc/λ)"

The the Eo*sin(2πx/λ) term makes sense to me. I am wondering why there is a second sin term (the sin(2πc/λ)) term in the equation. I understand that c/λ = f, but in that case I still don't really understand why this term is in here. Is there a source that derives this equation anywhere? I am having trouble finding a way to understand this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi daselocution! :smile:
daselocution said:
Eosin(2πx/λ)*sin(2πc/λ)

shouldn't there be a t in there somewhere? :confused:

Related to Describing electromagnetic radiation, why is there a second sin term?

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It is made up of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other.

2. How is electromagnetic radiation described?

Electromagnetic radiation is described by its wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the wave, while frequency is the number of waves that pass a fixed point in a given time period. Amplitude is the measure of the strength or intensity of the wave.

3. What is the purpose of the sin term in describing electromagnetic radiation?

The sin term in describing electromagnetic radiation is used to represent the oscillating nature of the electric and magnetic fields. This term helps us understand how the fields change over time and the direction in which the waves are traveling.

4. Why is there a second sin term in describing electromagnetic radiation?

The second sin term in describing electromagnetic radiation is used to represent the phase difference between the electric and magnetic fields. This phase difference is an important factor in determining the polarization of the wave and how it interacts with matter.

5. How does the second sin term affect the properties of electromagnetic radiation?

The presence of the second sin term affects the polarization, direction of propagation, and interference patterns of electromagnetic radiation. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of electromagnetic waves and how they interact with matter, such as when they are absorbed or reflected.