Describe surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid

In summary, the conversation is about a question on fluid dynamics regarding a closed vessel filled with water rotating at a constant angular velocity. The goal is to show that the surfaces of equal pressure are circular cylinders with a common axis at a height g/\Omega^{2} above the axis of rotation. The responder suggests looking into Tritton's 'Physical Fluid Dynamics' for a partial answer and explains the steps involved in solving the problem. They also mention the assumption of conservation of momentum and inviscid flow.
amrasa81
Hi, I am trying to solve a basic question from a Fluid dynamics textbook. Could you help me with the answer? The question is as follows:

A closed vessel full of water is rotating with constant angular velocity [tex]\Omega[/tex] about a horizontal axis. Show that the surfaces of equal pressure are circular cylinders whose common axis is at a height [tex]g/\Omega^{2}[/tex] above the axis of rotation.

I don't know how to tackle this problem. Is there a technique in solving such theoretical questions?

Thanks,

P.S:- This is not a homework or coursework question. I am also new to Physics forum, and hence, my question may not be appropriate for this section. In that case please tell me in which section I should pose fluid dynamics questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question... I only have a partial answer, working from Tritton's 'Physical Fluid Dynamics'. In it, he starts with:

[tex]\frac{Du}{Dt} =\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p -\Omega \times \Omega \times r - 2\Omega \times u + \nu \nabla^{2} u +\rho g[/tex]

So, assuming conservation of momentum, Du/Dt = 0. Also, the second term on the rhs can be written as
[tex] -\nabla (\frac{1}{2}\Omega^{2}r^{2})[/tex]

and combined to give a reduced pressure

[tex]p - \frac{1}{2}\Omega^{2}r^{2}[/tex]

Then, ignoring the Coriolus term and assuming inviscid flow, I can maybe see how you get the result you mention. Maybe...

hope this helps.

Thanks!

Related to Describe surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid

1. What are surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid?

Surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid are imaginary surfaces that connect all points within the fluid that experience the same pressure. These surfaces are perpendicular to the direction of gravity and are also known as isobaric surfaces.

2. Why do surfaces of equal pressure form in a rotating fluid?

Surfaces of equal pressure form in a rotating fluid because of the Coriolis effect. This effect causes the fluid to move in a curved path, creating areas of higher and lower pressure. The rotation of the fluid also creates centrifugal forces, which contribute to the formation of these surfaces.

3. How do surfaces of equal pressure affect the flow of a rotating fluid?

Surfaces of equal pressure affect the flow of a rotating fluid by creating a pressure gradient, which drives the fluid to move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. This results in the formation of fluid vortices and can impact the overall circulation and stability of the fluid.

4. Can surfaces of equal pressure be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, surfaces of equal pressure can be observed in real-life systems such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and even in the atmosphere of other planets. They play a significant role in the dynamics of these systems and can be studied through various techniques including satellite imagery and mathematical modeling.

5. How do scientists study and analyze surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid?

Scientists study and analyze surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid through the use of mathematical equations and models, as well as through experiments in the laboratory and in the field. They also use techniques such as remote sensing and computer simulations to better understand the behavior and impact of these surfaces on fluid dynamics.