Deriving Wien's Displacement Law

In summary, the given equation ##\frac{dE(w)}{dw}=0## cannot be solved analytically and requires a graphical or numerical approach to find the value of ω.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I have ##E(w)=w^3(e^{\beta\bar{h}w}-1)^{-1}##,

where ##\beta=K_{B}T##, ##K_{B}## boltzman constant

Homework Equations

Need to solve ##\frac{dE(w)}{dw}=0##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##k=\beta\bar{h}##:

##\frac{dE(w)}{dw}=3w^2(e^{kw}-1)^{-1}+w^3(e^{kw}-1)^{-2}ke^{kw}(-1)##
##=\frac{3w^{2}(e^{kw}-1)-kw^3e^{kw}}{(e^{kw}-1)^2}##

##\implies w^2(e^{kw}(3-kw)-3)=0##

##w\neq 0 \implies e^{kw}(3-kw)-3=0##

Is this right so far? I don't know how I'd solve this now...?

Many thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
Is this right so far? I don't know how I'd solve this now...?
That's correct, but there is no analytical solution to that equation. You have to use a graphical or numerical approach to find the value of ω.

Related to Deriving Wien's Displacement Law

1. What is Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the wavelength of maximum emission of a blackbody and its temperature. It states that the product of the wavelength and the temperature is a constant, known as the Wien displacement constant.

2. How was Wien's displacement law derived?

Wien's displacement law was derived by the Austrian physicist Wilhelm Wien in 1893 using theoretical and experimental methods. He combined the concepts of thermodynamics and electromagnetic radiation to develop the law.

3. What is the significance of Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law is significant because it provides a theoretical basis for understanding the relationship between temperature and the emission of radiation from a blackbody. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, where it is used to determine the temperature of stars based on their spectral energy distribution.

4. What are the limitations of Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law is only applicable to ideal blackbodies, which absorb and emit radiation at all wavelengths with 100% efficiency. It also does not take into account other factors that can affect the emission of radiation, such as the presence of surrounding matter and the shape of the object.

5. Can Wien's displacement law be applied to objects other than blackbodies?

Wien's displacement law can be applied to objects other than blackbodies, but with some limitations. It can be used as an approximation for objects that are close to being perfect absorbers and emitters of radiation, but the results may not be as accurate. Additionally, it cannot be applied to objects that do not emit thermal radiation, such as non-heated objects or objects that emit non-thermal radiation, such as lasers.