Deriving the Voltage Equation: Using Kinematics to Show V=(mv^2/2q)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mango12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the equation V=E(delta x) can be used to show that V=(mv^2/2q) by using kinematics and substituting relevant variables. This can be seen by considering a particle of charge q accelerated by an electric field, where the work done is equal to the kinetic energy gained, resulting in the equation V=(mv^2/2q).
Mango12
Knowing that V=E(delta x), show that V=(mv^2/2q)

I think I have to use kinematics and substitute some things but I'm not sure

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mango12 said:
Knowing that V=E(delta x), show that V=(mv^2/2q)

I think I have to use kinematics and substitute some things but I'm not sure
There is a lot more to the question than you posted. Do you have a particle in a mass-selector or velocity selector? I'm trying to figure out where the kinetic energy term comes from in V=(mv^2/2q).

-Dan

topsquark said:
There is a lot more to the question than you posted. Do you have a particle in a mass-selector or velocity selector? I'm trying to figure out where the kinetic energy term comes from in V=(mv^2/2q).

-Dan

Well, the problem involves xenon. One mole of xenon is .131kg and one atom is 2.2*10^-25 kg. And velocity is 2.7*10^4 m/s if that helps.

He wants us to show that V=(mv^2/2q) is true, so I don't know if he wants us to set them equal to each other or...how else would I prove it is true?

Mango12 said:
Well, the problem involves xenon.
Please post the whole question, not just what it involves. You still haven't given enough information!

-Dan

topsquark said:
Please post the whole question, not just what it involves. You still haven't given enough information!

-Dan

One mole of xenon is .131kg and a single atom of xenon is 2.2*10^-25 kg. It is traveling 2.7*10^4 m/s. Using the diagram and knowing that voltage=E(delta x), show that voltage=mv^2/2q

View attachment 5411

Attachments

• docu.png
    docu.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 53
Mango12 said:
One mole of xenon is .131kg and a single atom of xenon is 2.2*10^-25 kg. It is traveling 2.7*10^4 m/s. Using the diagram and knowing that voltage=E(delta x), show that voltage=mv^2/2q

Hi Mango12,

When a particle of charge $q$ is accelerated by an electric field $E$, the electric force is $F=qE$.
When traversing a distance $\Delta x$ the work done is $W = F\Delta x$ (if the force is constant).
That work is equal to the kinetic energy $U_k = \frac 12 m v^2$ that the particle gains (assuming it starts from a speed of about zero).

So we have:
$$W = U_k \quad\Rightarrow\quad F\Delta x = \frac 12 m v^2
\quad\Rightarrow\quad qE\Delta x =\frac 12 m v^2
\quad\Rightarrow\quad qV =\frac 12 m v^2
\quad\Rightarrow\quad V =\frac {m v^2}{2q}
$$

I like Serena said:
Hi Mango12,

When a particle of charge $q$ is accelerated by an electric field $E$, the electric force is $F=qE$.
When traversing a distance $\Delta x$ the work done is $W = F\Delta x$ (if the force is constant).
That work is equal to the kinetic energy $U_k = \frac 12 m v^2$ that the particle gains (assuming it starts from a speed of about zero).

So we have:
$$W = U_k \quad\Rightarrow\quad F\Delta x = \frac 12 m v^2
\quad\Rightarrow\quad qE\Delta x =\frac 12 m v^2
\quad\Rightarrow\quad qV =\frac 12 m v^2
\quad\Rightarrow\quad V =\frac {m v^2}{2q}
$$

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you! I understand it a lot better now.

Related to Deriving the Voltage Equation: Using Kinematics to Show V=(mv^2/2q)

1. How do you prove a voltage equation?

To prove a voltage equation, you must use Ohm's Law (V = I x R) or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (ΣV = 0) to solve for the voltage in a given circuit.

2. What is the purpose of proving a voltage equation?

The purpose of proving a voltage equation is to verify the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit and to ensure that the equation accurately describes the behavior of the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in proving a voltage equation?

The steps involved in proving a voltage equation include identifying the circuit components, applying the appropriate laws or equations, and solving for the unknown voltage.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving a voltage equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving a voltage equation include using incorrect values for current or resistance, neglecting the polarity of voltage sources, and forgetting to include all voltage drops in a circuit.

5. How do you know if a voltage equation is correct?

A voltage equation is correct if it follows the laws of physics and accurately predicts the voltage in a circuit. It can also be verified through experimentation and comparing the calculated voltage to the measured voltage in a circuit.