Deriving the Speed of Shallow Wave Formulas

In summary, the speed of a wave in shallow waters can be calculated using the formula speed = square root of (gravity multiplied by depth). This formula is derived from the Shallow Waters Equations, which are a simplified version of the Navier-Stokes equations for small waves in water. It is also mathematically similar to the equations used in Linear Acoustics. Deriving this formula may require careful attention and there is no quick method available.
ph_low
for shallow waves (where [tex]\lambda \leq 1/2 depth[/tex]) in a tub, can anyone tell me why...

[tex]speed\ of\ wave = \sqrt{gravity * depth}[/tex]

i mean, is there a way to get this formula by deriving from others?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can (ofcourse) be derived from the Navier-Stokes equations. See e.g. http://www.ocean.washington.edu/people/faculty/parsons/OCEAN549B/lwt-lect.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
ph_low said:
for shallow waves (where [tex]\lambda \leq 1/2 depth[/tex]) in a tub, can anyone tell me why...

[tex]speed\ of\ wave = \sqrt{gravity * depth}[/tex]

i mean, is there a way to get this formula by deriving from others?

That comes from the Shallow Waters Equations. These equations are a version of Navier-Stokes equations for small waves into water whose amplitude is small compared with the height of water itself.

The Shallow Waters Equations are also very similar (mathematically) to the ones of the Linear Acoustics. If you want to know more about that, you will have to pay attention to derivation, as DaWillem has said. I don't know a rapid method.

Related to Deriving the Speed of Shallow Wave Formulas

1. What is the definition of a shallow wave?

A shallow wave is a type of seismic wave that travels near the Earth's surface. It is characterized by a low velocity and a small amplitude, making it less destructive than other types of seismic waves.

2. How is the speed of a shallow wave calculated?

The speed of a shallow wave can be calculated using the formula v = √(gH), where v is the wave velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and H is the depth of the water or soil layer through which the wave is travelling.

3. What factors affect the speed of a shallow wave?

The speed of a shallow wave is influenced by several factors, including the type of material the wave is travelling through, the depth of the material, and the frequency of the wave.

4. Are there different formulas for calculating the speed of shallow waves in different materials?

Yes, there are different formulas for calculating the speed of shallow waves in different materials. For example, the formula for calculating the speed of a shallow water wave is different from the formula for calculating the speed of a shallow soil wave.

5. Why is it important to know the speed of shallow waves?

Knowing the speed of shallow waves is important for understanding how they behave and how they may impact structures built on or near the Earth's surface. It also allows scientists to make accurate predictions and assessments of potential hazards, such as earthquakes or landslides.