Deriving the Solution for a PDE with Constants: What Method is Used?

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a PDE in a physics textbook, where the solution for E=0 is given as well as the solution for nonzero E. The author questions how the solution was obtained and it is suggested that a clever substitution was used. The problem being solved is the continuity equation for holes in the Haynes-Shockley experiment in semiconductor physics. The solution was derived using a Fourier transform and shifting the inhomogeneous term. The person providing the summary mentions using wolframalpha.com for the inverse Fourier transform.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a physics textbook I'm reading, the PDE ## \frac{\partial p}{\partial t}=-\mu E \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}+D \frac{\partial^2 p}{\partial x^2}-\frac{p-p_o}{\tau} ## is given where ## \mu, \ E, \ D, \ p_o ## and ## \tau ## are constants. It is then stated(yeah, just stated!) that the solution for E=0 is ## p(x,t)=\frac{N}{\sqrt{4 \pi D t}} \exp{\left( -\frac{x^2}{4 D t}-\frac{t}{\tau} \right)}+p_o## and that for nonzero E, the only change to the solution is ## x \rightarrow x-\mu E t ##. But I'm really wondering how did the author get this solution. Its obvious that he didn't use separation of variables. But I know no other method for solving it. What method is used?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is similar to the heat equation, and the solution is similar to the fundamental solution to the heat equation. This solution to the heat equation is a well known results, and you can find multiple derivations on-line. The general idea is to note that the heat equation is invariant under the transform [itex]x'=ax [/itex] and [itex]t' =a^2 t [/itex]. This implies a solution of the form [itex]u(x,t) = u\left(x^2/t \right) [/itex].

It's not clear how to go from the heat equation to your equation. I suspect that there is a clever substitution.

Likes dextercioby
the_wolfman said:
The equation is similar to the heat equation, and the solution is similar to the fundamental solution to the heat equation. This solution to the heat equation is a well known results, and you can find multiple derivations on-line. The general idea is to note that the heat equation is invariant under the transform [itex]x'=ax [/itex] and [itex]t' =a^2 t [/itex]. This implies a solution of the form [itex]u(x,t) = u\left(x^2/t \right) [/itex].

It's not clear how to go from the heat equation to your equation. I suspect that there is a clever substitution.

But the solution I stated in the OP contains ## \frac{1}{\sqrt t} ## and ## t ##, not only ## \frac{x^2}{t} ##.

Do you understand the problem that was being solved for the case where E = 0, say with τ infinite?

Chet

Shift p to p-p0 (p nought) to get rid of the inhomogeneous term. (Doesn't affect the derivatives)
Then Fourier transform the equation, the derivation is similar to that of the heat kernel. Throw p0 to the other side and you get that expression.
Sorry for the informal language.

EDIT:I'm bad with LaTex so here's a photo of the first few steps. Just do the same trick with the heat kernel here and you're good.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Do you understand the problem that was being solved for the case where E = 0, say with τ infinite?

Chet
Its Haynes-Shockley experiment in semiconductor physics and the equation is basically the continuity equation for holes. The first two terms in the R.H.S. are the divergence of drift and diffusion current and the third term is the sink term corresponding to the recombination process. With ## \tau \to \infty ##, no recombination happens and with E=0, the peak of the hole distribution doesn't move.

HomogenousCow said:
Shift p to p-p0 (p nought) to get rid of the inhomogeneous term. (Doesn't affect the derivatives)
Then Fourier transform the equation, the derivation is similar to that of the heat kernel. Throw p0 to the other side and you get that expression.
Sorry for the informal language.

EDIT:I'm bad with LaTex so here's a photo of the first few steps. Just do the same trick with the heat kernel here and you're good.
Thanks man, that worked out nicely.

Shyan said:
Its Haynes-Shockley experiment in semiconductor physics and the equation is basically the continuity equation for holes. The first two terms in the R.H.S. are the divergence of drift and diffusion current and the third term is the sink term corresponding to the recombination process. With ## \tau \to \infty ##, no recombination happens and with E=0, the peak of the hole distribution doesn't move.Thanks man, that worked out nicely.

No prob. Did you have difficulty with the inverse Fourier transform

HomogenousCow said:
No prob. Did you have difficulty with the inverse Fourier transform
I'd have if I've done it myself, but I used wolframalpha.com!

Related to Deriving the Solution for a PDE with Constants: What Method is Used?

1. How is this solution derived?

The solution is derived through a process of experimentation, observation, and analysis. Scientists use the scientific method to systematically test and refine hypotheses until a solution is found that best explains the data.

2. What is the importance of understanding how a solution is derived?

Understanding how a solution is derived allows us to evaluate the validity and reliability of the solution. It also allows us to replicate and build upon the solution in future studies.

3. What role does data play in deriving a solution?

Data is essential in deriving a solution as it provides evidence to support or refute a hypothesis. It allows scientists to make objective conclusions based on the results of their experiments.

4. How does peer review contribute to the validity of a derived solution?

Peer review is a process in which experts in the field review and evaluate the methods and findings of a study. This helps to ensure that the solution is based on sound scientific principles and that any potential biases or errors are identified and addressed.

5. Can a solution change over time as new information is discovered?

Yes, solutions can change over time as new information and evidence is discovered. This is why scientific theories are constantly being refined and updated as our understanding of the natural world evolves.