Deriving the lever law using infinitesimals

In summary: The lever resists bending. It produces an elastic force that acts such that the angular velocity is constant along the length.
Aleoa
I'm trying to derive the lever law by myself, however, I'm stuck. Please follow the logic of my calculations.

Every object in the picture has the same mass. I want to prove that, under the effect of the gravitational force, I can replace the objects in A and C with the two objects in B, and obtain a system that behaves in the same way.

Since the same gravitational force acts in the objects, in an infinitesimal time interval [itex]dt[/itex] they all get the same [itex]dv[/itex]. However, the correspondent infinitesimal change in angular velocity also depends on the distance between the object(s) and the fulcrum.
If i prove that in an [itex]dt[/itex] the [itex]d\omega[/itex] due to the objects in A and C is equal to the [itex]d\omega[/itex] due to the two objects on B, I'm done.

[tex]d\omega_{A}+d\omega_{C}=d\omega_{B}[/tex]

that is

[tex]\frac{dv}{OA}+\frac{dv}{OA+D}=\frac{2dv}{OA+\frac{D}{2}}[/tex]
where O is the fulcrum and D is the distance between C and A.

However, doing some calculations i found that...

[tex]\frac{dv}{OA}+\frac{dv}{OA+D}\neq\frac{2dv}{OA+\frac{D}{2}}[/tex]

Maybe two single masses in A and C have not the same effect as a double mass in B, however according to Spivak:

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleoa said:
in an infinitesimal time interval ##\mathrm{d}t## they all get the same ##\mathrm{d}v##
No they don't: if they stay on the shelf, the ones that are further from the fulcrum go faster.
There is a difference between static balance of moments and angular acceleration due to imbalance.

Then why the author says that the 6 blocks highlighted in grey have the same effect as a single block in A? Can you explain to me more deeply?

Aleoa said:
Then why the author says that the 6 blocks highlighted in grey have the same effect as a single block in A?
Because he's not talking about their velocities. He's talking about their moments about the fulcrum.

Let's get back to my first question. If i can replace the objects in A and C with the two objects in B, in a [itex]dt[/itex] what is the infinitesimal quantity that they change in the same way?

Assume the arm is rotating around the fulcrum without slipping. What is changing equally along the whole length of the arm?

Let's only consider the points A and C. Since the gravitational force is the same in both points, in a dt they get the same dv and so a different [itex] d\omega =Rdv[/itex]. Is this correct ?

No. If points on the rod have different ##\omega##, what happens to the rod?

If the answer to that isn't obvious, start with the rod horizontal and assign angular velocity 5°/s to a point 1cm away from the fulcrum, 10°/s to a point 2cm away, etc, and draw those points at ##t=1s##.

You are right. My misunderstanding started because i can't properly understand what is the same dv that A and C get according to the force law [itex] \bar{F}=m\frac{d\bar{v}}{dt}[/itex] that applies equally in both points

The lever resists bending. It produces an elastic force that acts such that the angular velocity is constant along the length. You are only factoring in gravity and leaving this out.

Related to Deriving the lever law using infinitesimals

1. What is the lever law and how is it derived using infinitesimals?

The lever law is a principle in physics that relates the forces and distances involved in a lever system. It states that the product of the force applied on one side of the lever and the distance from the fulcrum is equal to the product of the force applied on the other side and its corresponding distance. This law can be derived using infinitesimals by considering the lever as a continuous system and breaking it down into small, infinitesimal segments.

2. Why is it important to use infinitesimals in deriving the lever law?

Infinitesimals allow us to consider the lever as a continuous system, rather than a discrete one. This is important because it allows for a more accurate and precise calculation of the forces and distances involved, as the lever is not actually made up of discrete segments but rather a continuous distribution of forces and distances.

3. Can the lever law be derived using other methods besides infinitesimals?

Yes, the lever law can also be derived using other methods such as using the principle of virtual work or using the concept of torque. However, using infinitesimals is often the preferred method as it provides a more intuitive and visual understanding of the law.

4. What are some real-life applications of the lever law?

The lever law has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in seesaws, scissors, and crowbars. It is also used in engineering and construction, such as in cranes and lifting equipment, to calculate the necessary forces and distances needed for a stable and efficient system.

5. Are there any limitations to using infinitesimals in deriving the lever law?

While infinitesimals provide a useful tool in deriving the lever law, they do have their limitations. Infinitesimal segments are assumed to be infinitely small, which may not always be accurate in real-life scenarios. Additionally, the use of infinitesimals may not always be feasible or practical in certain situations, requiring alternative methods to be used.