Deriving the Formula for Average Velocity with Constant Acceleration

In summary, the formula for average velocity, (initial velocity + final velocity) / 2, can be derived by finding the area under a v/t graph and using the equation average velocity = distance/ time. This is useful for calculating the average velocity when acceleration is constant.
demonelite123
i was just wondering how do you prove that

average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity) / 2

when the acceleration is constant.

my book simply tells me the formula and how to use it but doesn't say how it got this formula in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you define average velocity?
I'll help you get started:
What distance will you travel, starting at the initial velocity, under constant acceleration, over a time of [tex]\Delta t[/tex]
What distance will you travel, constantly at the average velocity as defined in your post, over a time of [tex]\Delta t[/tex] ?

RoyalCat said:
How would you define average velocity?
I'll help you get started:
What distance will you travel, starting at the initial velocity, under constant acceleration, over a time of [tex]\Delta t[/tex]
What distance will you travel, constantly at the average velocity as defined in your post, over a time of [tex]\Delta t[/tex] ?

for the first question, i would travel (vi)([tex]\Delta t[/tex])
for the second question, i would travel (average velocity)([tex]\Delta t[/tex])

is this right?

demonelite123 said:
for the first question, i would travel (vi)([tex]\Delta t[/tex])
for the second question, i would travel (average velocity)([tex]\Delta t[/tex])

is this right?
No. Question one entails a constant acceleration starting with an initial velocity vi, and not a constant velocity.

Fightfish said:
No. Question one entails a constant acceleration starting with an initial velocity vi, and not a constant velocity.

could you please show me how to derive the formula average velocity = (vf - vi) / 2 when acceleration is constant?

demonelite123 said:
i was just wondering how do you prove that

average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity) / 2

when the acceleration is constant.

my book simply tells me the formula and how to use it but doesn't say how it got this formula in the first place.

It may help your understanding if you sketch a v/t graph.Find the area underneath the graph to get the distance traveled and use, average velocity = distance/ time

Dadface said:
It may help your understanding if you sketch a v/t graph.Find the area underneath the graph to get the distance traveled and use, average velocity = distance/ time

thanks! i got it now!

Related to Deriving the Formula for Average Velocity with Constant Acceleration

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measurement of the average rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity and average speed are both measurements of an object's motion, but they differ in that average velocity takes into account the direction of motion while average speed does not. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

3. What units are used to measure average velocity?

The units used to measure average velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How is average velocity represented on a graph?

Average velocity is represented by the slope of a line on a position vs. time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the average velocity.

5. What factors can affect the average velocity of an object?

The average velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as changes in speed, changes in direction, and external forces such as friction or air resistance.