Deriving the expression for wind velocity around low pressure area

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the equation for calculating wind velocity around a low pressure area is derived using the principles of fluid dynamics and the Coriolis force. The derivation involves assumptions of steady-state flow, an inviscid fluid, and a rotating reference frame. It also utilizes Newton's laws and vector analysis. Other resources, such as "Atmospheric Science: An Introductory Survey" and "An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology," may provide a more detailed derivation.
bksree
Hi
Can somebody tell me the steps and assumptions made in deriving the equation to calculate the wind velocity around a low pressure area ? (see the attachment fro Kleppner & Kolenkow).
I tried to derive like this :
Coordinate system located on Earth's surface with i direction towards E, j direction towards N and k direction upwards.
Initial wind velocity V = Vx i + Vy j
Ω = Ω sin λ j + Ω cos λ k where λ is the latitude of the place considered.
Position vector of parcel of air r = rx i + ryj

Eqn for the rotating system is
marot = mainertial - 2m Ω * V - Ω * (Ω * r) ----- (1)

mainertial = -(ΔP)S j where S = cross sectional area of parcel of air

As the flow is assumed to be steady, LHS of equation 1 i.e. marot = 0

RHS evaluated vectorially.

However, I cannot get the expression shown in the attachment.

Please help out. Is there any other text which shows this derivation ?

TIA

Attachments

• K&K.pdf
    84.4 KB · Views: 182
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your question. The equation for calculating wind velocity around a low pressure area is derived from the principles of fluid dynamics and the Coriolis force. The steps and assumptions made in this derivation are as follows:

Step 1: Assumption of steady-state flow
In fluid dynamics, steady-state flow refers to the condition where the flow parameters (such as velocity, pressure, and density) do not change with time. This assumption is made in the derivation of the wind velocity equation as it simplifies the equations and makes it easier to solve.

Step 2: Assumption of an inviscid fluid
In the derivation, it is assumed that the fluid (air) is inviscid, meaning that there is no friction or viscosity in the flow. This assumption is also made to simplify the equations and make them solvable.

Step 3: Assumption of a rotating reference frame
To account for the rotation of the Earth, a rotating reference frame is used. This frame is attached to the Earth and rotates with the same angular velocity as the Earth. This assumption introduces the Coriolis force, which is responsible for the deflection of winds in the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

Step 4: Application of Newton's laws
The equation is derived using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of forces acting on a body is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the forces acting on a parcel of air are the inertial force, the pressure gradient force, and the Coriolis force.

Step 5: Vector analysis
The equations are solved using vector analysis to account for the direction and magnitude of the forces involved.

The derivation you have attempted is correct, but it may be missing some steps or assumptions. I would suggest referring to other texts on fluid dynamics or meteorology for a more detailed derivation. Some good resources to consider are "Atmospheric Science: An Introductory Survey" by John M. Wallace and Peter V. Hobbs, and "An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology" by James R. Holton.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Deriving the expression for wind velocity around low pressure area

1. What is a low pressure area?

A low pressure area is a region in the atmosphere where the air pressure is lower than the surrounding areas. This typically happens when warm air rises and cools, creating an area of lower pressure compared to the cooler air around it.

2. How does wind velocity change around a low pressure area?

Wind velocity increases around a low pressure area due to the pressure gradient force. This force causes air to move from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower pressure, resulting in stronger winds around the low pressure area.

3. What factors affect the wind velocity around a low pressure area?

The wind velocity around a low pressure area is primarily influenced by the strength of the pressure gradient force, the Coriolis force, and friction from the Earth's surface. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and topography can also play a role.

4. How is the expression for wind velocity around a low pressure area derived?

The expression for wind velocity around a low pressure area is derived using the equations of motion for fluid dynamics, which take into account the aforementioned forces and factors. This results in a complex mathematical expression that describes the relationship between wind velocity, pressure gradient, and other variables.

5. Can the expression for wind velocity around a low pressure area be used to predict weather patterns?

Yes, the expression for wind velocity around a low pressure area is an important component of weather forecasting models. By accurately predicting the wind velocity and direction around a low pressure area, meteorologists can better understand and forecast the movement of weather systems and their impacts on local and regional weather patterns.