Deriving Rocket's position from acceleration.

In summary: However, I would still like to know the correct answer.In summary, the homework statement says that if you know the missile's acceleration, you can calculate its displacement in ten seconds. However, the attempt at a solution found that integrating the acceleration twice yielded an incorrect equation, and the final solution used time and distance in SI units.
ShizukaSm

Homework Statement

There's a short introduction saying that honing missiles can determine their position by utilizing their acceleration, then the problem says: Suppose that the missile's acceleration obeys the following equations:
[tex]
\\
a_x = 0.8\\
a_y = -6.0 - 3.0t
[/tex]
Knowing that, in [itex]t = 0[/itex], [itex]v_x = 600 km/h[/itex] and [itex]v_y = 0[/itex], calculate the missile's displacement in ten seconds. (Answer is 2.2km)

Homework Equations

Just the equations already provided.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so, what I tried to do was integrating the acceleration two consecutive times to arrive at an equation for x(t) and y(t), which gave me:
[tex]
\\
x(t) = 0.4 t^2 + 600t + x_o\\
y(t) = \frac{-1}{2}t^3 - 3t^2 + y_0
[/tex]

Then I attempted to get the displacement of both axes(Using time = 1/360h, since I have to convert 10 seconds to hours):
[tex]
\\
x(10)-x(0) = 1.67km\\
y(10)-y(0) = -2.3*10^{-5} km
[/tex]
And then, by calculating[itex]sqrt(x^2 + y^2) [/itex]I obviously get pretty much 1.67km, which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ShizukaSm said:
[tex]
\\
a_x = 0.8\\
a_y = -6.0 - 3.0t
[/tex]
What are the units of distance and time in those equations?

haruspex said:
What are the units of distance and time in those equations?

That's a great question. I just realized it says in parenthesis (SI Units), so m/s. In other words, I shouldn't convert time to seconds, I should convert km/h to m/s. However, by converting 600 km/h to 166.67 m/s and doing the necessary calculations I still obtain only 1884.26 m(With x =1706 and y = -800) : S

ax = 0.8 looks suspicious. Why so much less than ay? If you make it 8.0 you get the book answer.

haruspex said:
ax = 0.8 looks suspicious. Why so much less than ay? If you make it 8.0 you get the book answer.

Wow, you're absolutely right! Wonderful! Thanks.

It definitely says 0.8 and It's actually an online list of exercises, not a textbook, so I find very possible that the person that typed it made a mistake.

Related to Deriving Rocket's position from acceleration.

1. How is acceleration measured in a rocket?

Acceleration in a rocket can be measured using accelerometers, which are devices that sense the change in velocity and provide readings of acceleration in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. What is the equation for deriving rocket's position from acceleration?

The equation for deriving rocket's position from acceleration is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time elapsed, and a is the acceleration.

3. Can the position of a rocket be determined solely from its acceleration?

No, the position of a rocket cannot be determined solely from its acceleration. Other factors such as initial velocity, time elapsed, and initial position also need to be taken into account.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum apply to rocket's acceleration and position?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In the case of a rocket, the force applied by the rocket's engines results in a change in momentum, which in turn affects its acceleration and position. The law of conservation of momentum helps to explain the relationship between a rocket's acceleration and position.

5. How does air resistance affect the accuracy of deriving rocket's position from acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the accuracy of deriving a rocket's position from acceleration. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the rocket, resulting in a decrease in acceleration. This decrease in acceleration can affect the accuracy of the calculations used to determine the rocket's position.