Deriving potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus

In summary, a student attempted to solve a homework problem involving the potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus assuming a uniformly charged sphere. He found that the electron has potential energy according to the equation V'(r)=-Ze2/4∏ε0R.(3/2- (1/2)(r/R)^2). However, he was lost on the final integral involving the 3/2.
mafisco

Homework Statement

Derive equation below. It is the potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus assumed to be a uniformly charged sphere of R.

Homework Equations

V'(r) =( -Ze2/4∏ε0R)(3/2 - (1/2)(r/R)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand that I need to find the

∫ from infinity to a point A (A exists inside the uniformly charged sphere)

I did this by splitting it between infinity to B(on surface of sphere) and A to B.

I did get the (-Ze^2/4∏ε0R)(1/2)(r/R)^2, but I just am lost for the 3/2. Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, mafisco. Welcome to PF.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Can you show more detail of your calculation for each part of the split?

Hey, thanks! I'm going to be here for a while I believe, taking on a nuclear physics class and it's been a while since I've done physics.

Alright, so I know that

E*dA= (Qenc/(ε0*Volume(4/3∏R3))) * new volume(4/3∏r3)

for the limit integral of A to B.

Taking Qenc = Ze2 and dA = 4∏r2,

I get E = Ze2r/(4∏ε0R3)

With integration, it becomes E = (Ze2r2)/(8∏ε0R3)

That's the right hand part of what I need, but the left hand part (which I thought would be easy) appears to not give me the 3/2 I need.

What I tried :-
E*dA = Qenc/ε0. dA = 4∏r2, Qenc = Ze2.

I would end up with E = (Ze2)/(4∏ε0r2) which doesn't really give me the result I need after integration.

Let me know what I can do! Thanks!

Last edited:
You should be doing definite integrals. So, you need to substitute in the limits of integration corresponding to points B and A.

Likewise for the integration outside the sphere from infinity to B.

(I actually prefer to switch the order of the limits and make up for it by changing the overall sign of the integrals. That way I'm always integrating from small to larger values of r and my lower limits on the integrals are less than the upper limits. So, inside the sphere, I integrate from A to B (on surface) and then outside I integrate from B to infinity. If I don't do it this way I invariably get some signs wrong. :redface:)

Likes 1 person
Wonderful.

That did the trick my man, thank you very much. It seems as if I had forgotten definite integrals quite sadly.

Hope to see more people like you around, thanks again!

I don't get the integration limits! Can you please show how you evaluated when applying the limits?

Related to Deriving potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. In the case of an electron inside a nucleus, it refers to the energy that the electron has due to its distance from the nucleus.

2. How is potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus derived?

The potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus is derived using the Coulomb's law, which states that the electrostatic force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus?

The potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus is affected by two main factors: the distance between the electron and the nucleus, and the charges of the particles involved. The potential energy decreases as the distance between the electron and the nucleus decreases, and increases as the charges of the particles increase.

4. How does the potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus relate to atomic stability?

The potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an atom. A lower potential energy indicates a more stable atom, as the electron is closer to the nucleus and therefore experiences a stronger electrostatic force, making it less likely to be removed from the atom.

5. Can the potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus be measured?

The potential energy of an electron inside a nucleus cannot be directly measured, but its value can be calculated using mathematical equations and experimental data. Additionally, scientists can observe the effects of changes in potential energy on an atom's stability and behavior, providing indirect evidence of its existence.