Deriving Maxwell's Equations: Primitive Assumptions Explained

In summary, Maxwell's equations are considered the most fundamental equations of classical electromagnetism and cannot be derived. They are based on experimental evidence, with Gauss's Law coming from studies of electric forces and Faraday's Law from experiments on magnetic induction. In modern quantum theory, they can be derived by requiring the theory to be invariant under local U(1) gauge transformations. However, this approach may be difficult to explain to a non-physics audience. Some articles in the American Journal of Physics discuss interesting derivations of Maxwell's equations, but it is generally accepted that they cannot be derived from more fundamental assumptions. There is a different approach where electrostatics and special relativity can lead to the invention of magnetism, but the details are
chaotixmonjuish
Could someone point me in the direction of the derviation of each of Maxwell's equations? I'm working on a presentation and can't find a good one that starts with primitive assumptions (i.e. to help explain to a non physics audience).

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, in classical electrodynamics, Maxwell's equations are ultimately "derived" from experimental evidence, not from more fundamental assumptions. Gauss's Law comes from studies of electric forces by Coulomb and others. Faraday's Law comes from experiments on magnetic induction, most notably by Faraday himself.

The one exception would be the part of Ampere's Law that was added by Maxwell in order to make the complete set of equations mathematically consistent (the "displacement current" term).

In modern quantum theory, one can derive electrodynamics (including Maxwell's equations) by requiring that the theory be invariant under local U(1) gauge transformations of the particle fields. See for example the last section of

http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/DBailey/SubAtomic/Lectures/LectF13/Lect13.htm

I wouldn't want to try to explain this to a lay audience though. :bugeye:

Last edited:
Try a search at Amer J Phys, which frequently focuses on pedagogical aspects and interesting derivations. There have been several articles on deriving Maxwell's equations over the years.

Maxwell's equations are usually considered the most fundamental equations of classical electromagnetism, and therefore cannot be derived. They are accepted because they successfully predict the widest range of classical electromagnetic phenomena. However, if you there is a slightly different approach where you can start with electrostatics, and assume special relativity, and then you are force to invent magnetism, or something like that. I don't remember the details, and I don't know how fudge free this approach is, but you can look at Ohanian's EM text for details.

Related to Deriving Maxwell's Equations: Primitive Assumptions Explained

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four mathematical equations that describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. These equations were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered one of the most important discoveries in physics.

2. What is the process of deriving Maxwell's Equations?

The process of deriving Maxwell's Equations involves making a series of assumptions about the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and then using mathematical operations to derive the equations that describe these fields. This process is based on the work of several scientists, including Michael Faraday and Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

3. What are the primitive assumptions that are made in deriving Maxwell's Equations?

The primitive assumptions made in deriving Maxwell's Equations include the existence of electric and magnetic fields, the principles of superposition and linearity, the absence of magnetic monopoles, and the conservation of charge. These assumptions are necessary to mathematically describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

4. Why is it important to understand the primitive assumptions in deriving Maxwell's Equations?

Understanding the primitive assumptions in deriving Maxwell's Equations is important because it helps us to understand the physical principles that underlie these equations. By understanding the assumptions, we can also see the limitations of these equations and how they may need to be modified in certain situations.

5. How are Maxwell's Equations used in modern science and technology?

Maxwell's Equations are used in a wide range of scientific and technological applications. They are used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, in the development of electromagnetic devices such as motors and generators, and in the study of electromagnetic waves such as radio waves, microwaves, and light. These equations are also the basis for many advanced technologies, including wireless communication, satellite navigation, and medical imaging.