Deriving Magnetic Field from Helmholtz Coil Lab Data | Homework Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where Helmholtz coils were used to measure the period of a bar magnet and the resulting graph showed a straight line with a slope of 5.80. The equations used to derive the C constant and magnetic field are also mentioned, with the values of μ0, N, R, slope, and intercept provided. It is noted that the calculation of C requires the use of the graph's gradient and the y-intercept to determine Bh. The questioner also expresses confusion about the variables and conventions used.
8008jsmith

Homework Statement

I had a lab where we used Helmholtz coils to measure the period of a bar magnet (1/s2) vs output current. The graph of this is a straight line. Using the slope, I am supposed to be able to derive the C constant and then that divided by the intercept is supposed to yield the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

(1/s2) = CBtot= C{Bh + .072Nμ0Ic/R} = CBh + C (.072Nμ0/R) Ic

μ0 = 4π x 10-7 T m/A
N = 200 turns
R = 0.105 m
slope = 5.80
intercept = 0.564

C = m/4π2 I
I = moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've tried plugging the numbers into the equations to solve for C but I don't know what to use for Ic or I (Moment of inertia). I'm not even sure if this post makes all that much sense since all these variable are based on convention. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you have to calculate C from your graph's gradient, which will be equal to
8008jsmith said:
C (.072Nμ0/R)
according to you.
Then you use this value of C to get Bh from the y-intercept of the graph.

Related to Deriving Magnetic Field from Helmholtz Coil Lab Data | Homework Question

1. What is a Helmholtz coil and how does it work?

A Helmholtz coil is a type of scientific apparatus used to produce a uniform magnetic field. It consists of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other with a small distance between them. When an electric current is passed through the coils in the same direction, it creates a uniform magnetic field between the two coils. This is due to the cancellation of magnetic fields produced by each individual coil, resulting in a net magnetic field in the center.

2. What are the applications of Helmholtz coils?

Helmholtz coils are commonly used in scientific experiments and research to study the effects of magnetic fields on various materials and processes. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).

3. What are the advantages of using Helmholtz coils?

One of the main advantages of Helmholtz coils is their ability to produce a uniform magnetic field within a specific region. This makes them useful for precise experiments and measurements. They are also relatively easy to construct and can be adjusted to produce magnetic fields of different strengths.

4. Are there any limitations to using Helmholtz coils?

Helmholtz coils have a limited range of magnetic field strength that they can produce, typically up to a few hundred Gauss. They also have a limited region of uniformity, meaning that the magnetic field may not be completely uniform in areas beyond the center point. Additionally, they are not suitable for producing extremely strong magnetic fields.

5. How are Helmholtz coils different from other types of electromagnetic coils?

Helmholtz coils are unique in that they produce a uniform magnetic field within a specific region. Other types of electromagnetic coils, such as solenoids, do not have this capability. Additionally, Helmholtz coils are typically used for scientific experiments and research, whereas other coils may have different applications such as in motors or generators.