Deriving Jeans' Mass for Gravitational Collapse

In summary, the critical mass for a hydrogen cloud of uniform density to begin gravitational collapse can be expressed as: M=(v^4)/((P^.5)(G^1.5))
jkrivda
I need to show that the critical (Jeans') mass for a hydrogen cloud of uniform density to begin gravitational collapse can be expressed as:

M=(v^4)/((P^.5)(G^1.5))

Where v is the isothermal sound speed, and P is the pressure associated with the density ρ and temperature T.

I don't really know where to start. I have found a lot of derivations for the Jeans' Mass, however, none of them relate to the isothermal speed of sound. I assume I have to do some algebraic manipulations, I just need some help getting started.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
my textbook tells me that the isothermal sound speed is

[itex]v_{T} = (\frac{kT}{\mu m_{H}})^{1/2}[/itex]

and that the Jeans mass is

[itex]M_{J} = (\frac{5kT}{G\mu m_{H}})^{3/2} (\frac{3}{4\pi \rho})^{1/2}[/itex]

but my text also tells me that this was derived while neglecting an external pressure on the cloud due to the surrounding interstellar medium.

Does that help?

If this is homework, it belongs in Homework and Coursework.

yes, that helps. with that info, i can derive the required jeans' mass, with some arbitrary coefficient before the variable terms.

my textbook hasn't arrived by mail yet, and i am worried about not giving enough reasoning behind my derivation. is there any way you can give me a little insight as to how your textbook arrives at those conclusions? as in, how your textbook arrived at what you gave for the jeans' mass and isothermal sound speed formulae?

my textbook is Carroll and Ostlie's Introduction to Modern Astrophysics, and they do not actually give the derivation for the equation that you've got. They call it the Bonnor-Ebert mass.

I guess the derivations you have seen use the virial theorem and temperature then?

Do you know what the relevant physics here is? Why does a clump of matter collapse if its mass is bigger than Jeans mass? Why it does not if the mass is smaller? That would be a good place to start :-)

thanks for the help, guys! i referenced the carrol/ostlie text and managed to get a near-perfect score on my problem set. =]

Related to Deriving Jeans' Mass for Gravitational Collapse

1. What is Jeans' mass for gravitational collapse?

Jeans' mass is the critical mass of an interstellar cloud required for it to collapse under its own gravity and form a star.

2. How is Jeans' mass derived?

Jeans' mass is derived from the equations of hydrostatic equilibrium and the virial theorem, which relate the gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy of a gas cloud.

3. What factors affect Jeans' mass?

The temperature, density, and size of the gas cloud all affect Jeans' mass. A higher temperature, lower density, or larger size will result in a higher Jeans' mass.

4. What is the significance of Jeans' mass in star formation?

Jeans' mass is an important concept in understanding the process of star formation. A gas cloud must have a mass greater than Jeans' mass in order to overcome the outward pressure and collapse under its own gravity to form a star.

5. Can Jeans' mass be applied to other objects besides interstellar clouds?

Yes, the concept of Jeans' mass can be applied to any self-gravitating object, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters, to determine their stability and potential for collapse.