Deriving Ideal Gas using Molecular Flux Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using the molecular flux equation to derive the expression for ideal gas pressure. However, the derivation leads to a factor of 1/2, making the final expression smaller than the correct value. The issue lies in using the average velocity instead of the average velocity squared, which is the correct term for kinetic energy. Additionally, the derivation does not take into account the angular distribution of particle velocities, leading to an incorrect calculation of momentum transfer. Therefore, the ideal gas pressure should be derived using the traditional method, rather than solely relying on the molecular flux equation.
Seydlitz
So basically I was wondering whether it's possible to get the expression of ideal gas using molecular flux equation which is ##\phi = \frac{1}{4}\bar{v}n##. The derivation should be straightforward. I need to get the expression of pressure. Because the flux by definition already gives the rate of number of particles per area. I multiplied ##\phi## by the change of momentum when a particle hits a wall and rebounds which is ##\frac{2}{3}m\bar{v}##.

Eventually I get.
$$
P = \phi \, dp = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}m\bar{v}^2\frac{2}{3}n
$$
Notice however that I get extra ##\frac{1}{2}## factor which makes the final expression smaller by a half than the correct. ##PV = NkT##

What should be fixed in this case?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the details of your derivation?
Seydlitz said:
$$
P = \phi \, dp = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}m\bar{v}^2\frac{2}{3}n
$$
Are the units consistent?

DrClaude said:
Can you show the details of your derivation?
Are the units consistent?

Sure. So basically instead of using the usual ideal gas derivation, I just take the molecular flux, which is the rate of the number of molecules per area and multiplied it by the change of momentum of one particle to get the pressure. The reasoning is pretty similar to the classic superman bullet problem if I can find the analogue, where you are given the rate of the bullet hitting superman chest and you need to find the average force hitting the man.

The unit is also consistent. Molecular flux has ##1/m^2s## units, which will become pascal or ##N/m^2## if multiplied by momentum change.

$$
\phi = \frac{1}{4}\bar{v}n \\
P = \phi \, dp = \frac{1}{4}\bar{v}n \cdot \frac{2}{3}m\bar{v}
$$

After re-arranging,

$$
P = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}m\bar{v}^2\frac{2}{3}n \\
P = \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}kT\frac{2}{3}n \\
P = \frac{nKT}{2} \\
$$

Now that's where the problem lies. I somehow need to get that half factor fixed.

Seydlitz said:
$$
P = \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}m\bar{v}^2\frac{2}{3}n \\
P = \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{2}kT\frac{2}{3}n \\
P = \frac{nKT}{2} \\
$$
Doesn't ##m\bar{v}^2/2## look like the average kinetic energy? You're not recovering a pressure. In the last equation, you're missing a volume, so you need to introduce it somehow.

DrClaude said:
Doesn't ##m\bar{v}^2/2## look like the average kinetic energy? You're not recovering a pressure. In the last equation, you're missing a volume, so you need to introduce it somehow.

This might be the reason why there's that strange factor. I thought I can replace that term that looks like average kinetic energy with the usual ##3kT/2##. Maybe I can't? But I don't see any problem. The mass of the particles are all the same and I'm using average velocity. So it's the average kinetic energy right?

The one with volume is fine, I can happily substitute ##n = N/V## and get ##PV## on one side. But the half factor remains regardless. I also need to add the fact that ##n## is not the number of molecules but molecules per volume. (This is what makes the unit consistent)

Seydlitz said:
I also need to add the fact that ##n## is not the number of molecules but molecules per volume. (This is what makes the unit consistent)
Sorry, that should have been obvious. Forget my post #4.

One thing that I now see that doesn't work is that ##\bar{v}^2 \neq \overline{v^2}##, and it is the latter that appears in the equation for kinetic energy.

DrClaude said:
Sorry, that should have been obvious. Forget my post #4.

One thing that I now see that doesn't work is that ##\bar{v}^2 \neq \overline{v^2}##, and it is the latter that appears in the equation for kinetic energy.

Ah yes. It makes sense, thanks for noticing that. But can I find any workaround though if I still want to use the derivation, or it's just not possible to get the ideal gas equation back?

You don't have a flux of molecules in a gas at equilibrium. On the average, half of them will move in the opposite direction, for any axis you choose.
Is this included in that formula? Where does it come from? I mean the one with the 1/4.

nasu said:
You don't have a flux of molecules in a gas at equilibrium. On the average, half of them will move in the opposite direction, for any axis you choose.
Is this included in that formula? Where does it come from? I mean the one with the 1/4.

Here is one way of deriving it. (Page 3 Molecular flux)
http://www.lehman.edu/faculty/dgaranin/Statistical_Thermodynamics/Molecular_theory.pdf

The derivation sums molecules moving in one direction per surface I think but you can re-check it. If we need to half the molecules, the final formula will be a quarter less then.

Then why don't you follow the derivation of pressure, which is in the next section?
It seems that the flux described by that formula is not a flux of particles with speeds normal to the wall but with an angular distribution.
The momentum transferred by one atom is not just 2mv but 2mv cos(theta), as you can see in their formula. You need to integrate over this angle to get the total momentum transfer.

nasu said:
Then why don't you follow the derivation of pressure, which is in the next section?
It seems that the flux described by that formula is not a flux of particles with speeds normal to the wall but with an angular distribution.
The momentum transferred by one atom is not just 2mv but 2mv cos(theta), as you can see in their formula. You need to integrate over this angle to get the total momentum transfer.

There exist indeed the derivation of pressure already, but I'm trying to do the same using only the molecular flux formula created beforehand without integrating all of the quantities from the beginning.

I think I understand now, what you said makes sense. All of the particles in the flux considered can collide with the wall in different manner and hence their momentum change is not trivial. This is not the same with the ordinary pressure derivation, as at the beginning only the molecules with one velocity component is considered, hence we can use 2mv change directly.

Do you think I get the reasoning right?

Seydlitz said:
I think I understand now, what you said makes sense. All of the particles in the flux considered can collide with the wall in different manner and hence their momentum change is not trivial. This is not the same with the ordinary pressure derivation, as at the beginning only the molecules with one velocity component is considered, hence we can use 2mv change directly.
That sounds right.

Related to Deriving Ideal Gas using Molecular Flux Equation

What is the molecular flux equation?

The molecular flux equation, also known as the kinetic theory of gases, describes the behavior of a gas at a molecular level. It relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas to the average velocity and mass of its molecules.

How is the ideal gas law derived from the molecular flux equation?

The ideal gas law is derived from the molecular flux equation by assuming that the gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other. This simplification allows for the equation to be solved for the ideal gas behavior, where the pressure is directly proportional to the temperature and inversely proportional to the volume.

Why is the ideal gas law considered an approximation?

The ideal gas law is considered an approximation because it assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, gas molecules do have volume and can interact with each other, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. This makes the ideal gas law less accurate in these conditions.

What is the significance of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is significant because it provides a simple and convenient way to relate the properties of a gas, such as pressure, volume, and temperature, to its underlying molecular behavior. It is also widely used in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering, to make predictions and solve problems involving gases.

How can the ideal gas law be used in real-life applications?

The ideal gas law can be used in various real-life applications, such as predicting the behavior of gases in chemical reactions, designing and operating gas-powered engines, and calculating the amount of gas needed for a specific process. It is also used in industries that involve gas handling, such as in the production of food and beverages, pharmaceuticals, and semiconductors.