Deriving Graviton Propagator from Linearized Lagrangian

In summary, the speaker is working with the free space linearized gravitation lagrangian and is trying to derive the proper propagator for it. They are off by a factor of 4 and are concerned about an additional factor of 2 in their calculations compared to the book's factor of 1/2. They are seeking confirmation on the correct propagator for their work.
michael879
Hi, I'm working with the free space linearized gravitation lagrangian and trying to derive the proper propagator for it. I have no problem doing this, the only problem is that my QFT makes a quick note of what form this should take and I'm off by a factor of 4. The flatspace metric terms matching the components of the contracted graviton fields are of the correct form, and there is a 1/k^2 factor. I'm getting an additional factor of 2 though, while my book has a factor of 1/2. 1/2 makes much more sense to me, since there are two propagator terms, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone confirm what the correct propagator is for me?

*edit* sorry, the lagrangian I am using is the quadratic terms from the weak field expansion of R/kappa

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're getting the usual field equation Gμν = κTμν, and the factor of ½ you're talking about is due to the fact that in first order Gμν = ½ ◻hμν. Well, but that factor doesn't matter, does it? Because in any event the propagator is defined to be the solution of ◻hμν = δ4(x-x'), and any factor of ½ goes into the coupling constant, which will be 2κ.

Related to Deriving Graviton Propagator from Linearized Lagrangian

1. What is the purpose of deriving the graviton propagator from the linearized lagrangian?

The graviton propagator is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of gravitons, which are particles that mediate the force of gravity. By deriving the propagator from the linearized lagrangian, we can better understand the behavior and interactions of gravitons in different physical scenarios.

2. What is the linearized lagrangian and why is it important in this derivation?

The linearized lagrangian is a simplified version of the full lagrangian, which is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system. In the context of gravitons, the linearized lagrangian allows us to study the behavior of weak gravitational fields, making it an important tool in deriving the graviton propagator.

3. Can you explain the mathematical steps involved in deriving the graviton propagator from the linearized lagrangian?

The derivation involves using perturbation theory and the Feynman diagram approach to calculate the propagator from the linearized lagrangian. This includes calculating the propagator's Feynman rules, performing the necessary integrations, and applying the appropriate symmetries and conservation laws.

4. How does the graviton propagator relate to other fundamental particles and forces?

The graviton propagator is a key component in the quantum field theory of gravity, known as quantum gravity. It is also related to the other fundamental particles and forces through the concept of gauge invariance, which is a fundamental symmetry principle in particle physics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of deriving the graviton propagator from the linearized lagrangian?

While the derivation itself is purely theoretical, understanding the behavior of gravitons and the forces they mediate is crucial in many areas of physics, including cosmology and high-energy particle physics. It also plays a role in the ongoing quest to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces in a single, comprehensive theory.