Deriving geodesic equation from energy-momentum conservation

In summary, the conversation is about a calculation by samalkhaiat on finding equations of motion from the stress-energy tensor. The equation in question is \int d^{3} x \left[ \partial_{0} (\sqrt{- g} x^{c} T^{a 0}) + \partial_{j} (\sqrt{- g} x^{c} T^{a j}) + \sqrt{- g} x^{c} \Gamma^{a}_{b d} T^{b d} \right] = \int d^{3} x \sqrt{- g} T^{a c} . \ \ (R), and the person is having difficulty getting the equation above equation (11) from the preceding
dpdt
Hi all,

I am trying to follow the calculation by samalkhaiat in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...n-from-the-stress-energy-tensor.547502/page-2 (post number 36). I am having some difficulty getting the equation above equation (11) (it was an unnumbered equation) from the preceding equations:

In particular, the equation states that:
## \frac{dX^c}{dx^0} \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{a0} + X^c \int d^3x \partial_b (\sqrt{-g} T^{ab} + X^c \Gamma^a_{bd}\int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} ) = \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{ac} ## (*)

I am confused to where the ## \frac{d X^c}{dx^0} ## comes from. I managed to massage equations so that I obtain equation (*), except that instead of

## \frac{dX^c}{dx^0} \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{a0} ## (**)

I have instead

## \int d^3 x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0} \delta x^c) ## (***)

Help! Can someone help me see why the two equations above (equations (**) and (***) ) are equal to each other?
Thank you so much for any help, this calculation is frying my brain! I can present my calculation up to this point if it is helpful at all.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
dpdt said:
Hi all,

I am trying to follow the calculation by samalkhaiat in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...n-from-the-stress-energy-tensor.547502/page-2 (post number 36). I am having some difficulty getting the equation above equation (11) (it was an unnumbered equation) from the preceding equations:

In particular, the equation states that:
## \frac{dX^c}{dx^0} \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{a0} + X^c \int d^3x \partial_b (\sqrt{-g} T^{ab} + X^c \Gamma^a_{bd}\int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} ) = \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{ac} ## (*)
You did not copy this correctly.
The equation in question is [tex]\int d^{3} x \left[ \partial_{0} (\sqrt{- g} x^{c} T^{a 0}) + \partial_{j} (\sqrt{- g} x^{c} T^{a j}) + \sqrt{- g} x^{c} \Gamma^{a}_{b d} T^{b d} \right] = \int d^{3} x \sqrt{- g} T^{a c} . \ \ (R)[/tex]

After that, I explained every step very carefully. Use Eq(4) and Eq(5), which are [tex]x^{c} = X^{c} + \delta x^{c} , \ \ \ \ (4)[/tex][tex]\Gamma^{a}_{b d} ( x ) = \Gamma^{a}_{b d} ( X ) + \delta x^{e} \partial_{e} \Gamma^{a}_{b d} . \ \ \ (5)[/tex] After the substitutions in (R), use Eq(7) and Eq(8), which are [tex]\int d^{3} x \ \sqrt{- g} \ \delta x^{c} \ T^{a b} = 0 , \ \ \ \ (7)[/tex] [tex]\int d^{3} x \ \partial_{j} ( \sqrt{- g} \ \delta x^{c} \ T^{a j} ) = 0 . \ \ \ (8)[/tex]

Now, you do this and show me your working. Remember to do the [itex]\partial_{0}[/itex] differentiation in the first term of Eq(R). This to get you started: [tex] \frac{d}{ d x^{0}} \left( \int d^{3} x \ \sqrt{- g} \ \delta x^{c} \ T^{a 0} \right) + \frac{d}{ d x^{0}} \left( X^{c} \int d^{3} x \ \sqrt{- g} \ T^{a 0} \right) .[/tex] Now in this, the first term is zero because of (7), the second term give you [tex]\frac{d X^{c}}{d x^{0}} \int d^{3} x \ \sqrt{- g} \ T^{a 0} + X^{c} \int d^{3} x \ \partial_{0} ( \sqrt{- g} \ T^{a 0} ) .[/tex]Sam

Dear Samalkhaiat,

Thank you, both for your reply and your original post. I still have two questions. For your ease of reading, I am highlighting my 2 questions in boldfont.

Starting from equation (R) of your post:
## \int d^3x [\partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0} x^c) + \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj} x^c) + \sqrt{-g}x^c \Gamma^a_{bd} T^{bd}] = \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{ac} ## (R)

I believe I have the correct derivation for the third term. In particular, once I plug in the expansion of ##x^c## and ##\Gamma^a_{bc}## the third term gives me to first order:
## \int d^3x \sqrt{-g}x^c \Gamma^a_{bd} T^{bd}] = X^c \Gamma^a_{bd} \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} ##. (A)
EDIT: Please see the end of my post!

The first two terms, however, are still giving me problems. Proceeding from the first term of equation (R):

##\int d^3x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0} x^c) = \int d^3x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0} X^c) + \int d^3x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0} \delta x^c) ##

The second term is zero because of equation (7) in your post. The first term of equation (R) is therefore:

## \int d^3x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0} X^c) = \frac{d X^c}{d t} \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{a0} + X^c \int d^3x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0}) ##. (B)

The second term of equation (R) gives:
##\int d^3x \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj} x^c) = \int d^3x \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj} X^c) + \int d^3x \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj} \delta x^c)## .

By equation (8) in your post, the second term is zero. The second term of equation (R) is therefore:

## \int d^3x \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj} X^c) = X^c \int d^3x \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj}) + \int d^4x (\partial_j X^c) (\sqrt{-g} T^{ai}) ##. (C)

Adding equations (A), (B), and (C) gives me that equation (R) becomes:

## \frac{d X^c}{d t} \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{a0} + X^c \int d^3x \partial_0 (\sqrt{-g} T^{a0}) + X^c \int d^3x \partial_j (\sqrt{-g} T^{aj}) + \int d^4x (\partial_j X^c) (\sqrt{-g} T^{ai}) + X^c \Gamma^a_{bd} \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} = \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{ac} ##.

Combining the second and third terms, I obtain that equation (R) becomes:

## \frac{d X^c}{d t} \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{a0} + X^c \int d^3x \partial_b (\sqrt{-g} T^{ab}) + \int d^4x (\partial_j X^c) (\sqrt{-g} T^{ai}) + X^c \Gamma^a_{bd} \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} = \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{ac} ##. (D)

Which is equal to the equation above equation (11) in your original post if the following is true:

## \int d^4x (\partial_j X^c) (\sqrt{-g} T^{ai}) = 0 ## .

So, my first question: is there a reason why said term is zero?

Again, I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much for your answer!

EDIT:
Once I looked at my derivation of the third term of (R), I realized that I did not do it properly. The third term of (R) is
## \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} x^c \Gamma^a_{bd} T^{bd} = \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (\Gamma^a_{bd} + \delta x^d \partial_d \Gamma^a_{bd})(X^c + \delta x^c) ##.

To first order in ##\delta x## this is:

## \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (X^c \Gamma^a_{bd} + \delta x^c \Gamma^a_{bd} + X^c \delta x^d \partial_d \Gamma^a_{bd} ) ##.

The second term is zero because we can write it as:

## \int d^3x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (\delta x^c \Gamma^a_{bd}) = \Gamma^a_{bd} \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} \delta x^c ##,
which is zero because of equation (7) of your post.

So the third term of (R) is equal to:

## \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (X^c \Gamma^a_{bd} + X^c \delta x^d \partial_d \Gamma^a_{bd} ) = X^c \Gamma^a_{bd} \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} + \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (X^c \delta x^d \partial_d \Gamma^a_{bd} ) ##.

So my second question: is there a reason for the last term,

## \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (X^c \delta x^d \partial_d \Gamma^a_{bd} ) ##,

to be equal to zero?

Last edited:
dpdt said:
Dear Samalkhaiat,

Thank you, both for your reply and your original post. I still have two questions. For your ease of reading, I am highlighting my 2 questions in boldfont.

## \int d^4x (\partial_j X^c) (\sqrt{-g} T^{ai}) = 0 ## .

So, my first question: is there a reason why said term is zero?

Again, I really appreciate your help. Thank you so much for your answer!

For the same reason that allows us to pull [itex]X^{c}[/itex] out of the volume integral. [itex]X^{c}[/itex] is a function only of whatever we choose to parameterize the geodesic path. So, you could think of it as [itex]X^{c} ( s )[/itex].
So my second question: is there a reason for the last term,

## \int d^3 x \sqrt{-g} T^{bd} (X^c \delta x^d \partial_d \Gamma^a_{bd} ) ##,

to be equal to zero?

Notice that you used the same index contraction over [d] twice! You need to be careful not to use the same index. Any way back to your question. Again for the same reason that let's you pull [itex]\Gamma[/itex] out of the integral. In the expansion of [itex]\Gamma ( x )[/itex], the term [itex]\partial \Gamma[/itex] is evaluated at [itex]x^{c} = X^{c}[/itex], so you can pull it out together with [itex]X[/itex] of that integral.

Last edited:
Thank you again for your answer!
Would you mind elaborating on the reason of why
## \partial_j X^c = 0 ## ?

I understand that seeing ## X^c ## as a function of the geodesic parameter ##s## allows one to set ## \partial_j X^c = 0 ##, but isn't also true that
## \partial_j X^c = \partial_j (x^c - \delta x^c) = \delta^c_j ##,
where ##\delta^c_j## is the delta function?

Thanks!

dpdt said:
Thank you again for your answer!
Would you mind elaborating on the reason of why
## \partial_j X^c = 0 ## ?

I understand that seeing ## X^c ## as a function of the geodesic parameter ##s## allows one to set ## \partial_j X^c = 0 ##,
Well, that is all what you need. It is like writting [itex]x = 3 f(s) + \delta x[/itex].
but isn't also true that
## \partial_j X^c = \partial_j (x^c - \delta x^c) = \delta^c_j ##,
where ##\delta^c_j## is the delta function?

Thanks!
Why is that? First of all, you should not apply naive algebra on a deninition. Second, [itex]\partial_{j} x^{a} = \delta^{a}_{j}[/itex], and [itex]\delta x^{a}[/itex] is a function of [itex]x[/itex], so [itex]\partial_{j} ( \delta x^{a}) \neq 0[/itex].
Look, as I said in the original post, one should think of [itex]X^{a} [/itex] as a spatially fixed point [itex]P[/itex] in the [itex]x[/itex]-coordinate system. Then, one tries to see what kind of curve does the point [itex]P[/itex] trace when the energy-momentum is covariantly conserved.

Last edited:
samalkhaiat said:
Look, as I said in the original post, one should think of ##X^{a}## as a spatially fixed point P in the x-coordinate system. Then, one tries to see what kind of curve does the point P trace when the energy-momentum is covariantly conserved.

This statement makes sense to me; I always got myself confused when dealing with partial vs. total derivatives. I think I understood the derivation now. Thank you for your help, and for your original post!

Related to Deriving geodesic equation from energy-momentum conservation

1. What is the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation describes the path that a free-falling object will follow in a curved space-time. It is the equation of motion for objects moving under the influence of gravity in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How is the geodesic equation derived from energy-momentum conservation?

In general relativity, energy and momentum are conserved along geodesics, which are the paths that objects follow in the curved space-time. By using the principle of energy-momentum conservation, we can derive the geodesic equation from the Einstein field equation.

3. Can the geodesic equation be applied to all forms of energy and matter?

Yes, the geodesic equation is a fundamental equation in general relativity and applies to all forms of energy and matter, including massless particles like photons and massive particles like planets.

4. What is the significance of the geodesic equation in general relativity?

The geodesic equation is significant because it allows us to understand how objects move in a curved space-time, which is a key concept in general relativity. It also helps us to make predictions about the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the geodesic equation?

Yes, the geodesic equation has many real-world applications, including predicting the orbits of planets and satellites, understanding the motion of objects in the strong gravitational fields of black holes, and in the development of GPS technology.