Deriving formulas used for vectors in physics.

In summary, the conversation is about a physics course and a discussion on formulas for finding the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in circular motion. At one point, the professor states that acceleration is equal to the negative of the square of the angular velocity times the position vector. To understand this, one can refer to the calculus derivation of centripetal force, where differentiating the velocity formula leads to a proportional relationship between acceleration and the position vector.
leafjerky
Hey guys and gals, I'm taking an online physics course just to kind of learn the basics before I take the real thing this summer. The course is from OpenYale for those interested (oyc.yale.edu). Anyways, the professor was talking about some formulas for finding ##\vec{r}(t) = r(i(cos\omega t) + j(sin\omega t))##. He then goes on to say that ##\vec{v}(t) = \vec{r}'(t)##. So then ##\vec{v}(t) = r(i(-\omega sin\omega t) + j(\omega cos\omega t)).## I understand it all up to this point. He then loses me when he says that ##\vec{a} = \vec{v}'(t)## which he says is equal to ##-\omega ^2 \vec{r}##. Can someone walk me through how he came up with this? Sorry if the title is off as I didn't really know how to word this. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just differentiate v(t) again and you'll see that it's proportional to r(t)

I was hoping for the step-by-step as I wasn't thinking and hadn't attempted it yet, but then I realized that it's ##\vec{r}## and not just ##r##, then I saw A.T.'s link and looked through it and it makes sense. I still haven't worked it out but I'm assuming that you factor out the ##-\omega## and what remains is just equal to ##\vec{r}##.

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow in a specific direction and its length represents the magnitude of the quantity.

2. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are used in physics to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and acceleration. They are essential in describing the motion and interactions of objects in the physical world.

3. What is the process of deriving formulas for vectors in physics?

The process of deriving formulas for vectors in physics involves using mathematical principles and laws to analyze and describe the behavior of physical quantities. This includes breaking down vectors into their components, using trigonometry to determine their magnitudes and directions, and applying the appropriate equations.

4. What are some common formulas used for vectors in physics?

Some common formulas used for vectors in physics include the Pythagorean theorem, which is used to calculate the magnitude of a vector, and the dot and cross product formulas, which are used to calculate the angle between two vectors and the resulting vector from their multiplication, respectively.

5. How can I apply vectors in solving physics problems?

To apply vectors in solving physics problems, you need to first identify the physical quantities involved and their respective directions. Then, you can use vector addition and subtraction to determine the net vector and apply the relevant formulas to calculate the desired quantity.