Deriving Formula for Rotational & SHM - Any Help Appreciated

• Thread starter trojsi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, the equation that the expert derives is f=1/2\pi (k/(M+I/R^2)) where k is the number of mass units on the spring, M is the number of mass units on the wheel, and I is the number of rotational inertia units on the wheel. The equation also relates linear quantities with rotational (T=Fr, T=I*alpha etc.) ones. The expert also notes that there is a problem with the derivation where they are attacking the problem as if it were a statics problem or a constant acceleration problem. They need to start imagining the system in motion in order to solve it. They also explain that the angular speed of the wheel at any given
trojsi
I am asked to derive a formula from the diagram attached. I should end up with this equation:

[tex]f=1/2\pi (k/(M+I/R^2))[/tex]

I tried really hard relating linear quantities with rotational (T=Fr, T=I*alpha etc.) ones but it was all in vain.

Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 330
Physics news on Phys.org
can you show us what you have tried so far?

also, i think everything except the 1/2pi should be under a square root.

You were right on the square root, I will correct it. Please find attached what I have tried so far. There are about 2 full A3, but I wrote down what I thought makes sense.

thanks any help

Attachments

• PTDC0074low.jpg
    PTDC0074low.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 316
ok, i see a couple of problems with your approach. first, i am not sure where you get the formula [itex]\alpha=\omega^2 R[/itex]. This is not true for SHM.

This leads to the second problem. you are attacking the problem as if were a statics problem, or as a constant acceleration problem. we need to start imagining this thing in motion. the mass is moving up and down and the spring is stretching and compressing. I would draw an x-axis beside the block and use that to measure where the block is at a giving time. let x=0 be the equilibrium position, this will be the most convenient. thus the motion is restricted to [itex]\pm A[/itex] where A is the amplitude of the motion. this will help with visualization.

now, one major point of confusion is that we are going to have two [itex]\omega[/itex]'s which mean totally different things. first we have the angular speed of the wheel at any given time, call this [itex]\omega_w[/itex], and since the wheel will be changing speed all the time, this will be a function of time, so [itex]\omega_w=\omega_w(t)[/itex].

the other will be the angular frequency of the SHM of the mass, let's just call that one [itex]\omega[/itex]. this is the one that will be constant and is the answer to the problem, well [itex]\omega=2 \pi f[/itex] and f is the answer.

so just to reiterate, [itex]\omega_w[/itex] is the angular speed of the wheel, so [itex]\alpha_w=\frac{d \omega_w}{dt}=\frac{a}{R}[/itex] where R is the radius of the wheel, and a is the linear acceleration of the mass. these are the quantities you want to use when applying Newton's second law to the wheel.

hopefully this will get you started in the right direction. this is a tricky problem, and i had to set up a differential equation (but not solve it) in order for [itex]\omega[/itex] to make itself known.

good luck

Related to Deriving Formula for Rotational & SHM - Any Help Appreciated

1. What is the difference between rotational motion and simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis, while SHM is a type of motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a fixed point. The main difference is the type of force that causes the motion - rotational motion is caused by a torque, while SHM is caused by a restoring force.

2. How do you derive the formula for rotational motion?

The formula for rotational motion can be derived using Newton's second law and the definition of torque. This involves setting up equations of motion for both linear and angular motion, and then equating the two to solve for the unknown variables.

3. Can the formula for rotational motion be applied to all types of objects?

The basic formula for rotational motion can be applied to any object that is rotating around a fixed axis. However, for more complex situations where the axis of rotation is changing or the object is not a perfect shape, additional equations and calculations may be necessary.

4. What is the relationship between rotational motion and SHM?

Rotational motion can be converted into SHM when the object's axis of rotation is perpendicular to the direction of the restoring force. In this case, the motion can be described by the same equations as an object undergoing SHM.

5. Is there a specific method for deriving the formula for SHM?

Yes, the formula for SHM can be derived using Hooke's law and the equation for acceleration in circular motion. This involves setting up equations for the force and displacement of the oscillating object, and then solving for the angular frequency and amplitude of the motion.