Deriving expression as a function of another variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding manipulating an expression with a trigonometric function, specifically in the context of solving for one variable as a function of another. The suggestion is made to use inverse trigonometric functions or Laplace transforms, but it is ultimately determined that a simpler solution can be found by rewriting the equation and using basic algebraic techniques.
kenef
I am attempting to understand how I can derive a new expression as a function of another variable in this existing expression. This is a college undergraduate course but I can't recall doing this much before, maybe in high school. I have taken all the way up to ODE's and PDE's.

The confusion that begins to arise is when attempting to manipulate this expression due to its trigonometric function.

With that being said, if one has an equation such that:

B(r) = Bsin(A f r + θ)

How can one solve to express this as a function of let's say f?
Any insight towards mathematical properties would be greatly appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
What does "Bsin(A f r + θ)" mean? Is B a constant here? On the left side it appears to be a function.

You'll need inverse trigonometric functions.
Yes B is a constant, let's say the original amount.

I was thinking that perhaps one might need to use Laplace transform

If ##x = \sin(y)##, then ##y = \sin^{-1}(x)##. Or to use an alternative notation, ##y = \arcsin(x)##. But surely you've seen this already, if you've studied ODEs and PDEs.

kenef said:
B(r) = Bsin(A f r + θ)

kenef said:
I was thinking that perhaps one might need to use Laplace transform
Laplace transforms? No, this is much simpler than that.

Let's rewrite the equation above as g(r) = Bsin(Afr + θ) so that B doesn't have two different roles.
1. Divide both sides by B
2. Take the inverse sine of both sides
3. Etc.

Thread moved as it doesn't appear to have anything to do directly with Calculus...

Likes kenef
Mark44 said:
Thread moved as it doesn't appear to have anything to do directly with Calculus...
Thank you, it was originally under General Math, and someone moved it to Calculus. Its not really related to "Calculus" as you have said. I will take your suggestion for the solution, thank you!

Related to Deriving expression as a function of another variable

What is meant by "deriving expression as a function of another variable"?

Deriving expression as a function of another variable refers to the process of obtaining a mathematical expression or equation that represents the relationship between two variables. This allows for the prediction of one variable based on the value of the other variable.

What are the steps involved in deriving expression as a function of another variable?

The steps involved in deriving expression as a function of another variable typically include identifying the two variables and their relationship, determining the appropriate mathematical operations to represent the relationship, and solving for the unknown variable to obtain the final expression.

Why is it important to derive expressions as functions of another variable?

Deriving expressions as functions of another variable is important because it allows for a better understanding of the relationship between variables and enables the prediction of one variable based on the value of the other. This can be useful in various fields such as science, economics, and engineering.

What are some common techniques used to derive expressions as functions of another variable?

Some common techniques used to derive expressions as functions of another variable include substitution, elimination, and graphical methods. Other techniques such as differentiation and integration may also be used depending on the complexity of the relationship between the variables.

Can derived expressions as functions of another variable be used for real-world applications?

Yes, derived expressions as functions of another variable can be used for real-world applications. They can be used to make predictions, analyze data, and solve problems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. However, it is important to validate the results and consider any limitations or assumptions made during the derivation process.