Deriving equation for electrostatic force.

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for the electrostatic force in terms of g, the angle, and the mass of the ball. The attempt at a solution involves using the fact that there is no net force on the ball and manipulating equations to eliminate F_T. The final derived equation is F_e = √(tanΘ)^2m^2g^2.
Checkfate

Homework Statement

Basically I am given an image showing a test charge tied to a string where there is the ball is stationary. I need to use the fact that there is no net force on the ball to derive an equation for the electrostatic force in terms of g, the angle, and the mass of the ball. Unfortunately I am stuck. :(

Homework Equations

f_Electricform_c475c45.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the vertical portion of [tex]F_{T}[/tex] is equal in magnitude to mg, and the horizontal portion of [tex]F_{T}[/tex] is equal in magnitude to the electromagnetic force. But I don't see how to tie it together to derive an equation. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
How about trying to eliminate F_T from the equations.

Ok sure let me try ;-).

If I am speaking about magnitudes only,

[tex]F_{T}^{2}=F_{g}^{2}+F_{e}^{2}[/tex]

Or

[tex]F_{e}^{2}=F_{g}^{2}-F_{T}^{2}[/tex]

But [tex]F_{T}=\frac{F_{E}}{Sin\Theta}[/tex]

So

[tex]\frac{F_{e}^{2}}{(Sin\Theta)^{2}}=F_{e}^{2}+F_{g}^{2}[/tex]

[tex]F_{e}^{2}=F_{e}^{2}(Sin\Theta)^{2}+F_{g}^{2}(Sin\Theta)^{2}[/tex]

moving the fe^2(sin(theta))^2 to the left side then factoring out 1-sin(theta)^2 from the left side and converting it to cos(theta)^2 I get:

[tex]F_{e}=\sqrt{(tan\Theta)^{2}m^{2}g^{2}}[/tex]

Does it look right?

Last edited:
Yes that's right. But a simpler way, actually the simplest, would have been to divide the expression for F_e by that of F_g.

Related to Deriving equation for electrostatic force.

1. What is the equation for electrostatic force?

The equation for electrostatic force, also known as Coulomb's Law, is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N * m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How is the electrostatic force related to the distance between charges?

The electrostatic force is inversely proportional to the distance between charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the direction of the electrostatic force?

The direction of the electrostatic force is along the line connecting the two charges. If the charges are of the same sign, the force is repulsive and if the charges are of opposite signs, the force is attractive.

4. How is the electrostatic force affected by the magnitude of the charges?

The electrostatic force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges. This means that as the magnitude of the charges increases, the force also increases, and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of the Coulomb's constant in the electrostatic force equation?

The Coulomb's constant, represented by the symbol k, is a proportionality constant that relates the electrostatic force to the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. It is a fundamental constant in electrostatics and helps in quantifying the strength of the force between charges.