Deriving EM Energy Conservation from Lagrangian

In summary, the approach that is being described involves deriving the equations of motion from the Lagrangian density expressed in terms of energy-momentum and angular-momentum densities. This is done including taking into account the interactions between the charges and the electromagnetic field. However, the approach does not take into account time translational symmetry, meaning that energy conservation cannot be derived using time as a coordinate.
progato
I'm trying to derive the conservaton of energy for electromagnetic fields with currents from the action principle, but I have some trouble understanding how the interaction term in the Lagrangian fits into this.

The approach I have seen so far has been to express the Lagrangian density as $$\mathcal{L}(x^\alpha, A_\alpha, \partial_\beta A_\alpha) = \mathcal{L}_{field} + \mathcal{L}_{int} = -\frac {1} {4\mu_0}F^{\alpha \beta}F_{\alpha \beta} - A_\alpha J^\alpha$$ and then derive the equations of motion from that in the usual way. This leads to Maxwell's equations.

The problem I have with this approach is that ##J^\alpha(x)## depends on the space-time coordinates. This means that the Lagrangian is not invariant with respect to time and I cannot derive energy conservation using time translational symmetry. Without the interaction term, this works fine.

The above Lagrangian only describes the motion of ##A_\alpha##. Is there a way to formulate a Lagrangian that describes how ##A_\alpha## and ##J^\alpha## evolves together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, there's exchange of energy, momentum, and angular momentum between the em. field and the charges. You can derive the expressions for the appropriate energy-momentum and angular-momentum densities (modulo total divergences which are fixed by the demand of gauge invariance, which leads from the canonical to the Belinfante energy-momentum tensor and the usual relation of it to the angular-momentum tensor) of the em. field. Then including the interactions with the charges leads to the additional terms in the energy-momentum-angular-momentum balance equations of the electromagnetic field, leading to the correct Lorentz-force form of the equation of motion.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it is a little over my head. In particular, I had not heard of the Belinfante energy-momentum tensor until just now. I know how to derive the canonical energy-momentum tensor from the lagrangian density though. I am basically at the level where I can understand the "Theoretical Minimum" lectures or "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" as well as some differential geometry.

Do you mind elaborating a bit or provide pointers where I can find more information?

Related to Deriving EM Energy Conservation from Lagrangian

1. What is the Lagrangian method and how does it relate to energy conservation?

The Lagrangian method is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is based on the Principle of Least Action, which states that a system will follow a path that minimizes the action (a measure of energy) required to move from one state to another. This method is useful in deriving energy conservation from the equations of motion.

2. How is energy conservation derived from the Lagrangian method?

The Lagrangian method involves using the equations of motion (e.g. Newton's laws) to derive a set of differential equations. By manipulating these equations, it is possible to show that energy is conserved in the system. This is done by examining the time derivative of the Lagrangian, which is equal to the total energy of the system.

3. Can the Lagrangian method be used in all physical systems?

Yes, the Lagrangian method can be applied to any physical system as long as the equations of motion are known. It is a powerful tool that is particularly useful in systems with complex dynamics or multiple degrees of freedom.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian method over other methods of analysis?

One of the main advantages of the Lagrangian method is that it is based on a fundamental principle (the Principle of Least Action) rather than specific assumptions or approximations. This makes it a more general and robust approach that can be applied to a wide range of physical systems. Additionally, the Lagrangian method often leads to simpler and more elegant solutions compared to other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian method for energy conservation?

While the Lagrangian method is a powerful and versatile tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for systems with strong nonlinearities or chaotic behavior. Additionally, the method may become more complex and difficult to apply in systems with many degrees of freedom. In these cases, other methods of analysis may be more appropriate.