How Is Electrical Potential Derived from a Ring Charge?

In summary, the potential due to a revolving symmetrical ring electric charge is shown in the diagram. To find the potential, you need to express l in terms of r and θ. Once you have these two variables, the potential is easy to find.
MissP.25_5
Hi.
I have no idea how to do this. It's complicated because the length here is a variable. I posted the same question before but there was a little mistake so I am reposting this again.

The picture below shows the potential due to ring charge.
Please show the full steps of deriving the equation of electrical potential shown in the picture. I have no idea how to start.

NOTE:
The electric potential of the revolving symmetrical ring electric charge related to the axis z as depicted in the diagram 5.3. It is commonplace to use complete circle integral function in the charge simulation method. If the position (height) of ring electric charge is Z, the radius is R, and the charge density is λ, the electric potential of the point P will be as represented in the next equation.

In the equation, l is the distance between the part of the ring charge dθ and P.

Attachments

• potential due to ring charge.jpg
    potential due to ring charge.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
MissP.25_5 said:
Hi.
I have no idea how to do this. It's complicated because the length here is a variable. I posted the same question before but there was a little mistake so I am reposting this again.

The picture below shows the potential due to ring charge.
Please show the full steps of deriving the equation of electrical potential shown in the picture. I have no idea how to start.
I can give you a hint where to start, but I am not allowed to provide full steps like you ask.

The electric potential of the revolving symmetrical ring electric charge...
... the picture does not show a revolving system - please check.

... related to the axis z as depicted in the diagram 5.3. It is commonplace to use complete circle integral function in the charge simulation method. If the position (height) of ring electric charge is Z, the radius is R, and the charge density is λ, the electric potential of the point P will be as represented in the next equation.

In the equation, l is the distance between the part of the ring charge dθ and P.
So how would you normally go about finding the potential due to a distribution of charge?

You problem seem to be the "l" is not fixed?
That is not a problem if you express l in terms of r and θ

Simon Bridge said:
I can give you a hint where to start, but I am not allowed to provide full steps like you ask.

... the picture does not show a revolving system - please check.

So how would you normally go about finding the potential due to a distribution of charge?

You problem seem to be the "l" is not fixed?
That is not a problem if you express l in terms of r and θ

It's ok, I have solved this problem!

Excellent - perhaps you can help out someone in a similar fix by posting the resolution?

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Deriving the equation for electrical potential due to a ring charge can be a bit complicated, but I will do my best to explain the steps involved.

First, we need to understand that the electric potential at a point is defined as the amount of work required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to that point. In other words, it is the amount of energy needed to move a charge to a specific location.

In this case, we are dealing with a ring charge, which means that the charge is distributed along a ring at a certain distance from the axis z. We can use the concept of superposition to calculate the potential at a point P due to each small element of charge on the ring. This is represented by the integral function in the equation.

To start, we can use Coulomb's law to calculate the electric field at a point P due to a small element of charge (dθ) on the ring. This is represented by the term dE in the equation. We then multiply this by the distance between the element of charge and point P (l) to calculate the work done in bringing that charge to point P. This is the first part of the integral function.

Next, we need to consider all the small elements of charge on the ring and integrate over the entire ring to get the total work done in bringing a unit positive charge from infinity to point P. This is represented by the second part of the integral function, which goes from 0 to 2π (the full circle).

Finally, we divide by the charge density (λ) and the distance between the point P and the ring (Z) to get the total electric potential at point P. This is represented by the final division in the equation.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the steps involved in deriving the equation for electrical potential due to a ring charge. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Is Electrical Potential Derived from a Ring Charge?

1. What is electrical potential?

Electrical potential is a measure of the amount of potential energy a unit of charge has at a given point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is electrical potential derived?

Electrical potential is derived by dividing the work done on a charge by the amount of charge moved. This can be represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is the electrical potential, W is the work done, and Q is the amount of charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrical potential?

The unit of measurement for electrical potential is volts (V). This unit is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first electric battery.

4. How is electrical potential different from electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential is a measure of the amount of potential energy a unit of charge has at a given point, while electrical potential energy is the total amount of potential energy of a system of charges. Electrical potential is a scalar quantity, while electrical potential energy is a vector quantity.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of electrical potential?

The magnitude of electrical potential is affected by the amount of charge present, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the vicinity can also affect the magnitude of electrical potential.