Deriving E(ave)=kT: Is it Correct?

• Thread starter resurgance2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the author presents a derivation of E(ave) = kT, but there are some errors in the substitution and the resulting expression. It is recommended to check for an errata sheet. Additionally, there is a simpler method using integration by substitution, resulting in the correct end result.
resurgance2001
I have attached a photo of a page from a book that I am studying. The author is showing a derivation of E(ave) = kT

However, I can't follow this derivation. He says that you need to use integration by substitution and I am OK with that. But when he actually does the substitution it looks wrong. Where there is uv - int vdu , he seems to have left out E in the first term. He also seems to have left out a negative sign. Then the E suddenly pops up again in the second term, int v du and then he says limit e^-E/kT = 0, as E becomes 0. Is that correct? I thought it became 1, or am I completely off the mark? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the name of this book? You may want to check if there's an errata sheet out there, because unless we're both losing our minds or don't see some major steps, then there's something off here.

The expression after "We then have ..." is just wrong. The end result is correct.

There's a much easier way to do this. Let [itex]x=E/(kT)[/itex]. Then [itex]E=kTx[/itex], [itex]dE=kT\,dx[/itex], resulting in
[tex]\int_0^\infty E e^{-E/kT} dE = (kT)^2 \int_0^\infty xe^{-x}dx = (kT)^2[/tex]
That [itex]\int_0^\infty x e^{-x}dx = 1[/itex] is one of those definite integrals you should just know. In fact, you should know that [itex]\int_0^\infty x^n e^{-x}dx = n![/itex] for all non-negative integers [itex]n[/itex].

Related to Deriving E(ave)=kT: Is it Correct?

1. How is the equation E(ave)=kT derived?

The equation E(ave)=kT is derived from the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of particles in a system based on their energy levels. By integrating the Boltzmann distribution over all possible energies, we can obtain the average energy, which is represented by E(ave). This average energy is then equated to kT, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature of the system. This derivation is based on statistical mechanics and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of particles in a system.

2. What does the equation E(ave)=kT represent?

The equation E(ave)=kT represents the average energy of particles in a system at a given temperature. It is a fundamental equation in statistical mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles in various systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It is also commonly used in thermodynamics to calculate the internal energy of a system.

3. Is the equation E(ave)=kT always accurate?

Yes, the equation E(ave)=kT is always accurate under certain assumptions. It assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium and that the particles follow the Boltzmann distribution. If these conditions are met, then the equation will accurately predict the average energy of the particles in the system. However, in certain cases, such as when dealing with quantum systems or systems with strong interactions, the equation may not be as accurate.

4. Can the equation E(ave)=kT be applied to all types of systems?

No, the equation E(ave)=kT is generally applicable to macroscopic systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids. It may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in microscopic systems or systems with strong interactions. Additionally, the equation is based on classical mechanics and may not be applicable in systems where quantum effects are significant.

5. How can the equation E(ave)=kT be used in practical applications?

The equation E(ave)=kT is commonly used in various fields such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and material science. It can be used to calculate the internal energy of a system, understand the behavior of gases and liquids at different temperatures, and predict the properties of materials at different temperatures. It is also used in the design and optimization of various technological devices, such as refrigerators and heat engines.