Deriving decomposition of transverse acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the acceleration vector from the velocity vector in terms of polar coordinates. The main focus is on simplifying the transverse component of acceleration, and the solution involves using the product rule and chain rule.
philipfisher

Homework Statement

The question asks one to derive the acceleration vector,

$$\vec{a} = [\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} - r(\frac{d\Theta}{dt})^2]\vec{u}_r + [\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt})]\vec{u}_\Theta$$

from the velocity vector.

$$\vec{v} = \vec{u}_r\frac{dr}{dt} + \vec{u}_\Theta \frac{d\Theta }{dt}$$

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have had no problem deriving this version of the acceleration vector,

$$\vec{a} = [\frac{d^2r}{dt^2} - r(\frac{d\Theta}{dt})^2]\vec{u}_r + [2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\Theta }{dt}+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}]\vec{u}_\Theta$$

from the velocity vector. But I'm stumped on how one simplifies my version of the transverse component of acceleration,

$$2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\Theta }{dt}+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}$$

into the textbook's version.

$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt})$$

Any chance someone could give me a hint? I've googled for an explanation without any success. I've also looked in two different textbooks, both of which just state that,

$$2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\Theta }{dt}+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2} = \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt})$$

without explaining why. I'm guessing the process of simplification is so basic that the texts just assume it needs no explaining, but the simplification eludes me and I'd really appreciate whatever help anyone could provide. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
philipfisher said:
$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt})$$

You can just use the standard product rule here (combined with the chain rule), remembering that r is a function of t.

Welcome to PF,

It's a case where, if you work backwards, you'll see that this relation is true:$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt})$$

Differentiate using the product rule:$$= \frac{1}{r}\frac{d\Theta }{dt}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2) + \frac{1}{r}(r^2)\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{d\Theta }{dt}\right)$$ $$=\frac{1}{r}2r\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\Theta}{dt} + r\frac{d^2\Theta}{dt^2}$$

In the last step, in the leftmost term, r2 was differentiated using the chain rule

Edit: eventually you'll get adept at "reverse" differentiating things that are exact derivatives in your head, and something like this will be clear by inspection.

Thank you. I'd tried the process of working backward by differentiating the textbook answer, but completely forgot the need to use the chain rule when doing so. I really appreciate the help.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The simplification that you are looking for involves using the product rule for differentiation. Let's start with your version of the transverse component of acceleration:

2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\Theta }{dt}+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}

We can rewrite this as follows:

2\frac{d}{dt}(r\frac{d\Theta }{dt})+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}

Now, using the product rule for differentiation, we can write:

2(\frac{d}{dt}r)\frac{d\Theta }{dt}+2r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}

Simplifying this, we get:

2(\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\Theta }{dt}+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2})+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}

Now, notice that the term in parentheses is the same as the one we started with. So we can replace it with the simplified version:

2(\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt}))+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}

And finally, using the definition of the transverse component of acceleration, we can write:

\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\frac{d\Theta }{dt})+r\frac{d^2\Theta }{dt^2}

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

Related to Deriving decomposition of transverse acceleration

1. What is transverse acceleration?

Transverse acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object in a direction perpendicular to its motion. It is also known as lateral acceleration or centripetal acceleration.

2. How is transverse acceleration related to decomposition?

Transverse acceleration can be broken down into two components: tangential acceleration, which is in the direction of motion, and centripetal acceleration, which is perpendicular to the direction of motion. This process is called decomposition.

3. Why is it important to derive the decomposition of transverse acceleration?

Deriving the decomposition of transverse acceleration allows us to better understand the motion of objects in circular or curved paths. It also helps in calculating the forces acting on the object and predicting its future motion.

4. What are the equations used to derive the decomposition of transverse acceleration?

The equations used to derive the decomposition of transverse acceleration are: - Tangential acceleration (at) = v^2/r- Centripetal acceleration (ac) = ω^2r- Total acceleration (a) = √(at^2 + ac^2)

5. Can the decomposition of transverse acceleration be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, the decomposition of transverse acceleration is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is applied in situations involving circular or curved motion, such as car turning, roller coaster rides, and satellite orbits.