Deriving Covariant Form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$

In summary, the product E1E2|→v| can be expressed in the covariant form: √(p1⋅p2−m1^2m2^2). It is derived from the inner product of the two four-momenta and includes the relative velocity. The signs in the last expression are incorrect and further clarification is needed to properly interpret the formula.
bananabandana
Given a two particle scattering problem with (initial) relative velocity $|\vec{v}|$, apparently the product $E_{1}$E_{2}|\mathb{v}|$ can be expressed in the covariant form:

$$ E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}| = \sqrt{ (p_{1}\cdot p_{2} - m_{1}^{2}m_{2}^{2}} $$

My textbook gives no further explanation - how has this been arrived at?
I tried expanding out:
$$ E_{1}^{2}E_{2}^{2}= (m_{1}^{2}- |\vec{p_{1}}|^{2})(m_{2}^{2}-|\vec{p_{2}}|^{2})$$
But this doesn't seem to go anywhere useful at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression given doesn't look right on dimensional grounds. ##p_1\cdot p_2## has dimensions of ##[M^2]## in c=1 units, but ##m_1^2m_2^2## has dimension ##[M^4]##. I suspect a typo somewhere.

More helpfully, I think that (whatever the correct answer is) this comes from the inner product of the two four-momenta. In the rest frame of one of the particles it's easy to work out its value, which is an invariant and includes your ##\vec v##. You've some work to do in a general frame in order to relate the particles' ##\gamma## factors to that relative velocity. Presumably it drops out somehow.

Note that I haven't worked through this myself - I'm just going on the combination of inner product of three momenta, product of energies and product of masses looking a bit like an inner product.

By the way, you have your signs wrong in your last expression. ##E^2=m^2+p^2##. The way you have it, energy decreases as momentum increases.

bananabandana said:
E1E2|→v|=√(p1⋅p2−m21m22

In the frame where 1 is staying still, p1=0, the right hand side becomes pure imaginary number. More information is needed to read this formula, if it is right, properly.

Last edited:

Related to Deriving Covariant Form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$

1. How do you derive the covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$?

The covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ can be derived using the formula $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}| = \gamma (E_{1}E_{2} - \vec{v} \cdot \vec{E})$, where $\gamma$ is the Lorentz factor and $\vec{E}$ is the electric field vector.

2. What is the significance of the covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$?

The covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ is significant in special relativity as it allows for the unification of electric and magnetic fields into a single entity known as the electromagnetic field tensor. This tensor is invariant under Lorentz transformations and plays a crucial role in the formulation of Maxwell's equations.

3. How does the covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ differ from the traditional form?

The traditional form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ is a scalar quantity, while the covariant form is a tensor quantity. This means that the traditional form does not take into account the direction of the electric and magnetic fields, whereas the covariant form does, making it more accurate in describing the behavior of electromagnetic fields in special relativity.

4. Can the covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ be applied in all reference frames?

Yes, the covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ is a relativistically invariant quantity and can be used in any reference frame, making it a more universal and accurate expression for electromagnetic fields.

5. How does the covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ relate to the Lorentz force equation?

The covariant form of $E_{1}E_{2}|\vec{v}|$ is a key component in the Lorentz force equation, as it represents the electromagnetic field tensor, which is used to calculate the force on a charged particle moving through an electric and magnetic field. This shows the close relationship between the covariant form and the dynamics of charged particles in special relativity.