Deriving an Expression for g in Terms of M, m, D, H, and t

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of equal mass M hanging from a pulley, with a smaller block of mass m sitting on top of one of the blocks. When the block is released, it accelerates downward for a distance H before being caught by a ring. The block of mass M continues to fall at a constant speed for a distance D. To find an expression for the acceleration in terms of g, we can use the equations \sum F = (M+m)a and T - F_M - F_m = (M+m)a. By solving for a, we get a = -\frac{mg}{M+m}. However, there is an error in this solution as there should not be a 2M in the
bjac
There are two blocks of equal mass M that hang from a massless, frictionless pulley. There is a small square block of mass m sitting on top of one of the blocks. When the block is released, it accelerates downward for a distance H until the block of mass m sitting on tip gets caught by a ring. The block of mass M continues to fall at constant speed for a distance D.

Derive an expression in terms of g using M, m, D, H, and t, where t is the time that M takes to move at constant speed through the distance D.

I have made drawing describing the situation:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3714/38860857.png

I actually have this solution, but I don't understand it. Could someone explain how it was derived?

[tex]a=\frac{mg}{2M+m}[/tex]

[tex]v^2=2aH[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{D}{t}[/tex]

[tex]v^2=\frac{2mgH}{2M+m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{D^2}{t^2}=\frac{2mgh}{2M+m}[/tex]

[tex]g=\frac{(2m+m)D^2}{2mHt^2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What part are you having difficulty with? What did you try?

Hi there,

By looking at your problem, and making the calculations myself, I found this error in your solution:

[tex]a = \frac{mg}{M + m}[/tex] without the 2M at the bottom

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

By looking at your problem, and making the calculations myself, I found this error in your solution:

[tex]a = \frac{mg}{M + m}[/tex] without the 2M at the bottom

Are you sure? I did it too and I'm getting 2M.

From where do you find the second M?

Let's look at the forces acting on the (M+m) system. You have the tension in the rope, and the weight of both M+m.

[tex]\sum F = (M+m)a[/tex]
[tex]T - F_M - F_m = (M+m)a[/tex]
[tex]\cancel{Mg} - \cancel{Mg} - mg = (M+m)a[/tex]
[tex]a = -\frac{mg}{M+m}[/tex]

What i did was :

(M+m)g - T = (M+m)a for the right side
T - Mg = Ma => T = M(g+a) for the left
Then

(M+m)g - M(g+a) = (M+m)a
mg-Ma = Ma + ma
mg = 2Ma + ma
a = mg / (2M+m)

Related to Deriving an Expression for g in Terms of M, m, D, H, and t

1. How can I derive an expression for g in terms of M, m, D, H, and t?

To derive an expression for g in terms of M, m, D, H, and t, we can use the following formula: g = (MmD)/t^2H. This formula is derived from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, where g is the gravitational acceleration, M is the mass of the larger object, m is the mass of the smaller object, D is the distance between the two objects, H is the height at which the smaller object is released, and t is the time it takes for the smaller object to reach the ground.

2. Why is it important to derive an expression for g in terms of M, m, D, H, and t?

Deriving an expression for g in terms of these variables allows us to understand and calculate the effects of gravity in a specific scenario. It also allows us to make predictions and perform experiments to test the accuracy of our calculations.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in the expression for g?

The units for M and m are typically in kilograms (kg), D is in meters (m), H is in meters (m), and t is in seconds (s). Therefore, the units for g will be in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Are there any assumptions or limitations to consider when using this expression for g?

The formula assumes that the objects are point masses (meaning their masses are concentrated at a single point) and that there are no other external forces acting on the objects. Additionally, this formula only applies to objects with masses that are much smaller than the mass of the Earth.

5. Can this expression for g be applied to any scenario involving gravity?

This expression for g can be applied to most scenarios involving gravity, as long as the assumptions and limitations mentioned in the previous question are considered. However, in certain situations such as near the surface of a planet with a significantly different mass or size than the Earth, this formula may not be accurate.