Deriving a vector identity using Pauli spin matrices

In summary, the homework statement is to derive the following equation: \left({\bf A} \cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) \left({\bf B }\cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) = {\bf A} \cdot {\bf B} I + i \left( {\bf A } \times {\bf B} \right) \cdot {\bf \sigma}
quasar_4

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to derive the following:

[tex] \left({\bf A} \cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) \left({\bf B }\cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) = {\bf A} \cdot {\bf B} I + i \left( {\bf A } \times {\bf B} \right) \cdot {\bf \sigma} [/tex]

using just the two following facts:

Any 2x2 matrix can be written in a basis of spin matrices:

[tex] M = \sum{m_\alpha \sigma_\alpha} [/tex]

which means that the beta-th component is given by

[tex] m_\beta = \frac{1}{2}Tr(M \sigma_\beta) [/tex]

Homework Equations

listed above...

The Attempt at a Solution

It should just be a left side= right side proof.

I started by saying [tex] \left({\bf A} \cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) \left({\bf B }\cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) =

\left(\sum_\alpha a_\alpha \sigma_\alpha \cdot \sigma \right) \left(\sum_\alpha b_\alpha \sigma_\alpha \cdot \sigma \right) =

\left( \sum_\beta a_\alpha \delta_{\alpha \beta} \right) \left( \sum_\gamma b_\alpha \delta_{\alpha \gamma} \right) =

\sum_\beta a_\beta \sum_\gamma b_\gamma =

\frac{1}{2} Tr(A \sigma_\beta) \frac{1}{2} Tr(B \sigma_\gamma) [/tex]

Not sure if this is even the right way to start, and I can't see at all where I would go from here to get the appropriate RHS of the identity I'm proving. Any ideas? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't expand A or B into Pauli matrices because neither of them are 2x2 matrices. They are both vectors of scalars.

Also, are you able to use any other info, such as the product of two Pauli matrices?

Thanks for the reply. I can use the usual commutation relations between the Pauli matrices. Also, I know the Pauli spin matrices are traceless... not sure if that's helpful or not.

Yes, that helps a lot. First you will need to make a 2-D matrix from the original equation. You had the right idea originally but expanded too much early on. You should do something like:

[tex](A\cdot\sigma)(B\cdot\sigma) = \sum_{i} a_i \sigma_i \sum_{j} b_j \sigma_j
= \sum_{ij}a_i b_j \sigma_i \sigma_j
=M[/tex]

That last term is now a 2d matrix. You will expand that in spin matrices including the identity. I suggest solving for the [tex]m_0[/tex] (identity piece) first, since that will give you your dot product. Be sure to use properties of the trace. For example, a_i and b_j are scalars. And you can break the sum of matrices in a trace up into a sum of traces of the individual matrices.

Last edited:

Your approach is on the right track. To continue, you can use the fact that the trace operation is linear, meaning that it distributes over addition and scalar multiplication. This means that you can rewrite the last line of your attempt as:

\frac{1}{2} Tr(A \sigma_\beta) \frac{1}{2} Tr(B \sigma_\gamma) = \frac{1}{4} Tr(A \sigma_\beta B \sigma_\gamma)

Next, we can use the fact that the Pauli spin matrices satisfy the anti-commutation relation:

\{\sigma_\beta, \sigma_\gamma\} = 2 \delta_{\beta \gamma} I

where {\cdot} denotes the anti-commutator. Using this relation, we can rewrite the previous line as:

\frac{1}{4} Tr(A \sigma_\beta B \sigma_\gamma) = \frac{1}{4} Tr(A B \sigma_\beta \sigma_\gamma) = \frac{1}{4} Tr(A B (\sigma_\beta \sigma_\gamma + \sigma_\gamma \sigma_\beta))

Finally, we can use the fact that the Pauli spin matrices are traceless, meaning that their trace is zero, except for the identity matrix. This allows us to simplify the previous line as:

\frac{1}{4} Tr(A B (\sigma_\beta \sigma_\gamma + \sigma_\gamma \sigma_\beta)) = \frac{1}{4} Tr(A B (2 \delta_{\beta \gamma} I)) = \frac{1}{2} Tr(A B \delta_{\beta \gamma} I)

which is equal to:

\frac{1}{2} Tr(A B \delta_{\beta \gamma} I) = \frac{1}{2} Tr(A B I) \delta_{\beta \gamma} = \frac{1}{2} Tr(A B I) \delta_{\beta \gamma} = \frac{1}{2} (A \cdot B) \delta_{\beta \gamma} = \frac{1}{2} (A \cdot B) \delta_{\beta \gamma} = \frac{1}{2} (A \cdot B) I

Therefore, we have shown that:

\left({\bf A} \cdot {\bf \sigma} \right) \left({

Related to Deriving a vector identity using Pauli spin matrices

1. What are Pauli spin matrices?

Pauli spin matrices are mathematical objects used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of particles. They are represented by 2x2 matrices with complex numbers as entries, and they have important properties that allow for the derivation of vector identities.

2. What is the purpose of deriving a vector identity using Pauli spin matrices?

The purpose of deriving a vector identity using Pauli spin matrices is to understand the relationship between spin operators and vector operators in quantum mechanics. This can help with calculations and predictions in quantum systems.

3. How is a vector identity derived using Pauli spin matrices?

To derive a vector identity using Pauli spin matrices, one can use the commutation and anti-commutation relations of the matrices, along with properties of the spin operators. This allows for the manipulation and rearrangement of equations to arrive at the desired vector identity.

4. What are some common vector identities derived using Pauli spin matrices?

Some common vector identities derived using Pauli spin matrices include the commutation relations between spin and position operators, as well as the anti-commutation relation between spin and momentum operators. These can be useful in solving problems involving quantum systems.

5. How are Pauli spin matrices related to other mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics?

Pauli spin matrices are related to other mathematical concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the wave function and spin operators. They are also related to the concept of spin angular momentum and the spin-statistics theorem, which states that particles with half-integer spin must follow Fermi-Dirac statistics.