Derive y as function of time in relation to terminal velocity

In summary: I'm not sure, but subtracting y0 from the right-hand side should give you the result you're looking for.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Integrate

[tex]v_{y} = v_{t} (1 - e^{-(\frac{k}{m})t}))[/tex]

to get [tex]y[/tex] as a function of time.

Homework Equations

[tex]y = v_{t}(t - \frac{m}{k} (1 - e^{-(\frac{k}{m})t})))[/tex] is the solution.

[tex]v_{t}=\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, when I integrate I get the following:

[tex]y = v_{t}(t + \frac{m}{k} e^{-(\frac{k}{m})t})))[/tex]

I don't get where that middle part comes from, which when taken out of brackets equals

[tex]-\frac {v_{t}m}{k}[/tex].

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing or where I may have gone wrong with my integration technique?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryker said:
I don't get where that middle part comes from, which when taken out of brackets equals

[tex]-\frac {v_{t}m}{k}[/tex].
No, it does not. What do you get when you distribute vT correctly inside the parentheses?

I think that middle part does actually match what I wrote. I didn't mean for the whole thing to be taken out of brackets, just that thing that my solution is missing when compared to the proper one. That's what I meant by "middle part".

Look at the equation for y(t). When t is zero, you get correctly y = 0. When t becomes very large, you get (approximately) y = vTt, i.e. the object is moving at constant terminal velocity. So the middle part is needed to give you the correct result for the in-between motion.

So this is a constant "C" that you need to add yourself after integrating? And can you explain in more detail why you need to add specifically that expression? I thought since starting velocity is zero everything (everything, but not more than that) is covered when you integrate that original velocity equation. Why isn't this the case then?

There is no constant of integration C. Show me the integral that you used to get the position y(t) from the velocity v(t), and I will explain why.

I used this one:

[tex]\int v_{t} (1 - e^{-(\frac{k}{m})t})) = v_{t}t - v_{t} \int e^{-(\frac{k}{m})t} = v_{t}(t + \frac{m}{k} e^{-(\frac{k}{m})t})))[/tex]

First off this is only the right side of the equation that you should be using. Show and integrate both sides. Secondly, what are your limits of integration?

Yeah, sorry, I left out the left side, because it's just

[tex]\int^t_0 v_{y} dt = y[/tex].

And the limits would be [tex]\int^t_0[/tex].

Facepalm.jpg would be in order here. I just forgot to apply the limits and derived an indefinite instead of a definite integral, didn't I? I'm screaming inside like a madman right now.

You also need limits for the y-dot integral which should be y0 to y.

Thanks a lot for all of your help. One last question, though. When you mention you must have limits from y0 to y, do you actually mean from 0 to t, which when integrated return values of y - y0?

No. On the left side the dy integral goes from y0 to y and on the right side the dt integral goes from zero to t. The lower limit on y matches the lower limit on t and the upper limits are also matched likewise in pairs. That's why I said "Show and integrate both sides." You start with

dy = v dt

and you integrate both sides with lower and upper limits of integration on both sides.

Hmm, but on the left-hand side you start out with vy, which you have to integrate in relation to time. So setting that up you get

[tex]\int v_{y} dt[/tex]

on the left. How would you then implement the limit for displacement (y and y0) if the variable is time?

Look

[tex]dy=vdt[/tex]

As time increases, add all increments dy on the left which means adding all increments v dt on the right.

[tex]\int^{y}_{y_0}dy=\int^{t}_{0} vdt[/tex]

Yeah, I understand that, but does that have any practical implications or is it just for notation purposes? I mean, in our case y0 = 0, so I'm guessing you would only need to take that into account if it wasn't. But how would you do that then? Subtract y0 from the result you would get on the right hand side?

Ryker said:
Yeah, I understand that, but does that have any practical implications or is it just for notation purposes? I mean, in our case y0 = 0, so I'm guessing you would only need to take that into account if it wasn't. But how would you do that then? Subtract y0 from the result you would get on the right hand side?
What do you get when you evaluate

[tex]\int^{y}_{y_0}dy \:?[/tex]

That's how you do it.

:rolleyes:

I get y - y0, right?

Right and that's the left side of the equation. If y0 is zero in the particular situation you are dealing with, then you put nothing on the left side; if it is not zero, then you put the negative of whatever the problem tells you it is at time t=0. It all depends on the initial conditions of your specific problem. What more is there to say?

Yeah, I guess I put that y0 = 0 as granted, as it was stated so in the book in the paragraphs preceding the equation, so that's why I didn't really address it at first. But once again, thanks again for your help.

Related to Derive y as function of time in relation to terminal velocity

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the upward drag force on the object is equal to the downward force of gravity.

2. How is terminal velocity related to time?

As an object falls through a fluid, its velocity will increase until it reaches the terminal velocity. After this point, the object will continue to fall at a constant velocity, meaning there is no change in velocity over time. Therefore, terminal velocity is directly related to time.

3. What factors affect the terminal velocity of an object?

The terminal velocity of an object is affected by its mass, surface area, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through. Objects with a larger surface area or lower density will have a lower terminal velocity, while objects with a smaller surface area or higher density will have a higher terminal velocity.

4. How can the equation for terminal velocity be derived?

The equation for terminal velocity can be derived using the forces acting on an object in free fall. The downward force of gravity is equal to the upward drag force, which is dependent on the object's velocity. By setting these forces equal to each other and solving for velocity, the equation for terminal velocity can be obtained.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding terminal velocity?

Understanding terminal velocity is important in various fields, such as skydiving, parachuting, and designing vehicles that move through fluids. It also has applications in weather forecasting, as the terminal velocity of raindrops can affect the rate and intensity of rainfall. Additionally, understanding terminal velocity is crucial in studying the dynamics of fluid flow and air resistance.