Derive the motion equation of density matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the density matrix and motion equation of a three-dimensional vector in relation to a magnetic field. The attempted solution involved using an identity for the dot product of two vectors with Pauli matrices. Ultimately, the correct equation for the motion of a(t) is derived as da/dt=(2μ/ħ)*(axB).
raeed

Homework Statement

density matrix : ρ(t)=0.5+0.5*a(t)⋅σ (a is a 3 dimensional vector and σ is paul victor)
H=-μ*σ⋅B (B is a three dimensional magnetic field )
and also assume that in t=0 , ρ(0)=0.5+0.5*a(0)⋅σ

whats is the motion equation of a(t)?

Homework Equations

whats is the motion equation of a(t)?

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use dρ/dt=(-i/ħ)*[H,ρ] but it didn't get me anywhere...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know an identity for

$$\left(\vec{C} \cdot \vec{\sigma}\right) \left(\vec{D} \cdot \vec{\sigma}\right) ?$$

George Jones said:
Do you know an identity for

$$\left(\vec{C} \cdot \vec{\sigma}\right) \left(\vec{D} \cdot \vec{\sigma}\right) ?$$
ohh i totaly forgot about this...
so i used it and i got that
da/dt=(2μ/ħ)*(axB)
is that correct?

Related to Derive the motion equation of density matrix

1. How is the motion equation of density matrix derived?

The motion equation of density matrix is derived by taking the time derivative of the density matrix equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system. This produces a differential equation that determines how the density matrix changes over time.

2. What is the significance of the motion equation of density matrix?

The motion equation of density matrix is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of a quantum system over time. By solving the equation, we can determine the state of the system at any given time and make predictions about its future evolution.

3. What are the variables and parameters involved in the motion equation of density matrix?

The motion equation of density matrix involves the density matrix itself, which is a matrix representation of the state of a quantum system. It also includes the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, and the time variable, which determines the evolution of the system over time.

4. How is the motion equation of density matrix related to quantum mechanics?

The motion equation of density matrix is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, as it describes the behavior of quantum systems over time. It is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the motion equation of density matrix be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the motion equation of density matrix can be applied to all quantum systems, regardless of their complexity. It is a general equation that governs the behavior of all quantum systems, from simple particles to complex systems such as atoms and molecules.