Derive error formula for Lambda (25 C)

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the error of Λ0(25C) in a physics lab course. The formula for the error is σΛ0(T) = (C11 + T(C12 + C21) + T2C22), where Cij are elements of the covariance matrix and T is temperature in centigrades. The person is struggling with deriving the formula and finding the covariance-variance matrix between c1 and c2. They have tried using excel linest but it only gave variances for C11 and C22. They are seeking help in understanding how to calculate the covariance-variance matrix.
lep11
In physics lab course I measured equivalence conductivity of NaCl in infinite dilution Λ0 as a function of temperature T.

So I have observations (T, Λ0) and fitted a line using the least squares method in Ms excel (lol :oldbiggrin:).
The formula of the line is Λ0(T)=c0+c1T, where c0 and c1 are constants.

I am asked to estimate the error of Λ0(25 C) using the following formula

σΛ0(T)=(C11+T(C12+C21)+T2C22),

where Cij are elements of covariance matrix and T is temperature in centigrades. I have matlab, but don't know the commands and how to calculate.

I am also asked to derive the formula above on paper and honestly I have no idea where to begin.
However, I am given this clue;

2zfsqia.png

Those partial derivatives confuse me

I will appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No responses so far, must be a complicated subject ...

You used excel linest ? Did it give you the whole matrix ?

Reason you need the off-diagonal elements is that the errors in ##c_0## and ##c_1## are correlated: the fitted line goes through the center of gravity of the measurements, which generally is not on the y-axis. 'Wiggling' the line shows that the error in the intercept is partially due to the error in the slope.

Does this thread help you ? Or the references mentioned ?

BvU said:
You used excel linest ? Did it give you the whole matrix ?
Yes and yes.
BvU said:
Does this thread help you ? Or the references mentioned ?
Not really, unfortunately.

Well, then we have to go through step by step. Partial derivatives pop up when functions are functions of more than one variable. Generally error propagation works with partial derivatives. Errors are supposed to be small and the derivatives give a linear approximation for the propagation.

Show what you have so far and we'll pick it up at σΛ0(T)=(C11+T(C12+C21)+T2C22), which I find strange: T shouldn't appear there.

Okay, now I think I've figured it out. I have to submit my work due to Monday.

Does this make any sense?
The error of line fitting is function of c1 and c2.
2rmkqia.png

Sorry, the picture is a bit blurry and unclear.

The only problem is, how do I get the covariance-variance matrix between c1 and c2?

(I know C11 and C22 because excel gave variances, but C12 and C21 are still unknown.)

Last edited:

Related to Derive error formula for Lambda (25 C)

1. What is Lambda?

Lambda (λ) is a symbol used to represent the wavelength of a wave, which is a measurement of the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase with each other. It is commonly used in physics and other sciences to describe the characteristics of waves.

2. What does 25 C represent in the error formula?

25 C represents the temperature at which the error formula for Lambda is derived. In this case, it is 25 degrees Celsius. This temperature is often used as a standard for scientific experiments and calculations.

3. Why is it important to derive the error formula for Lambda?

Deriving the error formula for Lambda allows scientists to calculate and account for any potential errors in their measurements of wavelength. This can improve the accuracy and reliability of their experimental results.

4. How is the error formula for Lambda derived?

The error formula for Lambda is derived using mathematical principles, such as calculus and statistical analysis. It involves taking into account factors such as uncertainties in measurements and the effects of temperature on the wavelength of a wave.

5. Can the error formula for Lambda be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the error formula for Lambda can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the specific variables and equations used in the formula may vary depending on the type of wave being measured.