Derive equation for electric potential of electric dipole

In summary, the equation for the electric field due to an electric dipole is derived using the charges +q and -q at a distance d apart. The equation is \frac{kq}{(z-\frac{1}{2}d)^{2}} - \frac{kq}{(z+\frac{1}{2}d)^{2}}. However, there was some confusion regarding the position of the origin, which is actually between the charges at z=0. This means the equation should be \frac{kq}{(z-d)^{2}} - \frac{kq}{z^{2}} instead.
kahwawashay1
I'm not understanding how the equation of the electric field due to an electric dipole is derived. This is how my book derives it:

Say you have electric dipole composed of charges +q and -q a distance d apart, with the negative charge at the origin of the z-axis. Then, at any point z, the E field is:

[itex]\frac{kq}{(z-\frac{1}{2}d)^{2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{kq}{(z+\frac{1}{2}d)^{2}}[/itex]

Below is the exact picture of the situation from my book:

22dipole2.jpg

But shouldn't the equation be:
[itex]\frac{kq}{(z-d)^{2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{kq}{z^{2}}[/itex]

??

In my book's equation, it looks like they're just treating the two charges as if they're at the same point (the midpoint, corresponding to (1/2)d)...I know that for large z, this wouldn't matter much, but still, what if you want small z...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have misunderstood the position of the origin. z=0 is between the charges (the dot).

torquil said:
You have misunderstood the position of the origin. z=0 is between the charges (the dot).

Oh! wow I am stupid thanks lol

Related to Derive equation for electric potential of electric dipole

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It can be seen as a small "magnet" with a positive and negative end.

2. How is the electric potential of an electric dipole derived?

The electric potential of an electric dipole can be derived by using the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charge on the dipole, and r is the distance from the dipole to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. What is the direction of the electric potential at different points around an electric dipole?

The electric potential at different points around an electric dipole can vary in direction. At points along the axis of the dipole, the potential is directed towards the positive charge, while at points perpendicular to the axis, the potential is directed towards the negative charge.

4. How does the distance between the charges in an electric dipole affect the electric potential?

The electric potential of an electric dipole is directly proportional to the distance between the charges. As the distance between the charges increases, the potential decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the electric potential of an electric dipole be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of an electric dipole can be negative. This occurs when the point where the potential is being measured is closer to the negative charge than the positive charge.