Derive Entropy Change for Ideal Monatomic Gas

In summary, the conversation discussed deriving an expression for the change in entropy of a monatomic ideal gas passing from state 1 to state 2. The final equation obtained was ΔS = Cv ln(T2/T1) + nRln(V2/V1), where n represents the number of moles in the gas. The individual discussing the problem had initially made a mistake with a moles=1 assumption, but eventually resolved the issue.
SalfordPhysics
A Monatomic gas passes from state 1 (pressure p1, volume V1) to state 2 (p2, V2).
Derive an expression for the change in entropy of a monatomic ideal gas.

The required final equation is: ΔS = Cv ln(T2/T1) + nRln(V2/V1)

In my attempt, I am retrieving ΔS = Cv ln(T2/T1) + Rln(V2/V1)
i.e.; the unit of moles not present in the "(V2/V1)" term.
Is the given form to obtain incorrect or am I making a very silly mistake to do with the prior assumptions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very difficult to help you if you do not state how you are arriving at your expression.

For the future, also leave the headings of the homework template in your post.

What are the units of Cv, R, and ΔS?

What is the exact statement of the problem?

Chet

Its not a problem now I figured things out, the problem was my solved form wasn't exactly as required, but like I thought I was making a mistake with a moles = 1 assumption in another derivation that i was using a a "subroutine".

Your derivation is correct. The "(V2/V1)" term should not have a unit of moles because it is a ratio of volumes, not a ratio of moles. The correct form of the equation is ΔS = Cv ln(T2/T1) + nRln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas. This equation takes into account both the change in temperature and the change in volume of the gas, and it is a valid expression for the change in entropy of an ideal monatomic gas.

Related to Derive Entropy Change for Ideal Monatomic Gas

1. What is entropy and why is it important for ideal monatomic gases?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. For ideal monatomic gases, it is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the gas and its thermodynamic properties.

2. How is entropy change derived for ideal monatomic gases?

The entropy change for an ideal monatomic gas can be derived using the formula ΔS = nRln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes of the gas.

3. What factors affect the entropy change for ideal monatomic gases?

The entropy change for ideal monatomic gases is affected by changes in temperature, volume, and number of moles of gas. The larger the change in these factors, the greater the entropy change will be.

4. Can the entropy change for ideal monatomic gases be negative?

Yes, the entropy change for ideal monatomic gases can be negative. This occurs when the gas is compressed and its volume decreases, leading to a decrease in disorder or randomness.

5. How is the concept of entropy change for ideal monatomic gases used in real-world applications?

The concept of entropy change for ideal monatomic gases is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in chemical reactions and industrial processes.