Derive energy of electric dipole in electric field

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the expression for ##U(\theta)## for an electric dipole in a uniform electric field, with the dipole moment defined as ##p=qd##. The individual is unsure of the sign in the expression for work, and it is suggested to consider the energy for different values of theta to determine the sign.
Jonsson
Hello there,

I want to derive ##U(\theta) ## for electric dipole placed in uniforum electric field $\vec{E} = E\vec{e}_x$ where E is constant. I define the dipole moment as $p = qd$, where $d$ is the distance from the two

I write $\mathm{d}W = p\,E\sin\theta \mathrm{d}\theta = \tau\mathrm{d}\theta$, but how do I determine what the sign should be? Should it be $\tau\mathrm{d}\theta$ or $-\tau\mathrm{d}\theta$?

I don't understand how to work it out. What determines what the sign should be?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define theta?
Just consider the energy for different values of theta, that should give the answer.

Let theta be the angle between ##\vec{p}## and ##\vec{E}##.

Related to Derive energy of electric dipole in electric field

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the dipole.

2. How does an electric dipole interact with an electric field?

An electric dipole experiences a torque in an electric field, causing it to align with the field. This is due to the difference in the forces exerted on the two charges of the dipole.

3. What is the formula for calculating the energy of an electric dipole in an electric field?

The energy of an electric dipole in an electric field can be calculated using the formula U = -pEcosθ, where U is the potential energy, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field.

4. How does the energy of an electric dipole change when it is placed in a non-uniform electric field?

In a non-uniform electric field, the dipole will experience a net force and will move accordingly. This changes the potential energy of the dipole, as the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field changes. The energy can be calculated using the same formula as in a uniform electric field.

5. Can the energy of an electric dipole be negative?

Yes, the energy of an electric dipole can be negative. This occurs when the dipole moment is aligned opposite to the electric field, resulting in a negative value for cosθ. This means that the dipole is in a stable equilibrium position, with lower potential energy than when it is aligned with the field.