Derive characteristic equation recursion relation

In summary: I am asking for input, particularly in the latter part where I use the induction hypothesis.Thanks again..In summary, the characteristic polynomial Pn(λ) for an NxN symmetric tri-diagonal matrix can be derived using index notation and the general formula for a determinant. By expanding the determinant along the highest row and column, it can be shown that Pn(λ) is equal to the determinant of a submatrix Mk,k, which can then be rewritten using the induction hypothesis to obtain the recursion relation for Pn(λ). This method provides a way to strengthen index notation skills and can also be used to verify the correctness of a recursive solution.
ognik

Homework Statement

Given an NxN symetric tri-diagonal matrix, derive the recursion relation for the characteristic polynomial Pn(λ)

Homework Equations

Pn(λ) = |A -λI |
Pn(λ) = (An,n - λ)Pn-1(λ) - A2n,n-1Pn-2(λ)

The Attempt at a Solution

This was easy to do by induction, but I am always looking to strengthen my index notation, so I'd like to also do it using index notation. Please also point out anything wrong with my notation.
Starting with the generalised $$ |A| = \sum_{i=1}^{N} {(-1)}^{i+j}{a}_{ij}{M}_{ij} $$
When i = j, aij = Aii - λ (Given)
For j = i ± 1, aij = aji (symetric)
For i+1 < j < i-1, aij = aji = 0 (tri-diagonal)
Since then I've been going round in circles, only achieving:
P1(λ) = A11 - λ (the recursion needs a starting value)
Expanding by the nth row (i=n, j from n to n-1 only, since for j=n-2, aij = 0):
$$ {P}_{n}\left(\lambda\right)=\sum_{i=n}^{i=n-1} {(-1)}^{i+j}{a}_{ij}{M}_{ij}= {\left(-1\right)}^{n+n}{a}_{n,n}{M}_{n,n}+{\left(-1\right)}^{n+n-1}{a}_{n,n-1}{M}_{n,n-1} $$
$$ =\left({A}_{n,n}-\lambda\right){M}_{n,n} - {a}_{n,n-1}{M}_{n,n-1} $$
I can see that I am almost there, the 2nd term looks similar to Pn-1, but I'm just stuck for the next move?

I have tried to think of anything else to add, but as far as I know, all the info is already there; I would really appreciate some help to finish this off, thanks.

The induction hypothesis allows you to say that ##M_{n,n} = P_{n-1}(\lambda)##.

Try sketching what ##M_{n,n-1}## looks like. You should be able to see that it's equal to ##A_{n,n-1}P_{n-2}(\lambda)##.

Likes ognik
Thanks Vela. After some thought, I am not so sure that my induction proof is 100%. Please comment on it below?
For clarity I will call the matrix A, the diagonal elements an,n and the off-diagonal, elements bi,j ( = bj,i). Mn,n = det[An,n]

P1(λ) = det [a1,1 - λ] = (a1,1 - λ). (I would need to stop the recursion here, to avoid dealing with P0 = det[] :-)

From directly writing out the 2x2 matrix, P2 = det[A2] = (a2,2 - λ).M1,1 = (a2,2 - λ).det [a1,1 - λ] = (a2,2 - λ).P1(λ)

Again, from directly writing out the 3x3 matrix A3, P3(λ) = (a3,3 - λ).M2,2 - (b3,2x b2,3).M1,1 + 0 = (a3,3 - λ).M2,2 - b23,2.P1(λ)

Here is where I'm not certain my proof is acceptable - I have extrapolated from P2 and P3 to write Pn(λ) = (an,n - λ).Pn-1((λ) - b2n,n-1.Pn-2(λ) ... but induction normally requires proving the base case (done), assuming it correct for a general value n=k, and then proving it for k+1. Is my proof valid (for physics at least)?

Back to your "Try sketching what Mn,n−1 looks like. You should be able to see that it's equal to An,n−1Pn−2(λ)." Yes that is clear, though I was wondering if there was a way to do it using the general formula for |A| that I started with up top, and then feeding in bn,n-1 = bn-1,n and b1,j=0 if i and j were separated by more than 1

You should use n=3 as your base case because it's not clear what ##P_{-1}## and ##P_0## are.

For the n=k+1 case, you need to assume the relation holds for ##n \le k## and not just for ##n=k##. You expand along the bottom row to get
$$P_{k+1}(\lambda) = \det(A-\lambda I) = (a_{k+1,k+1}-\lambda)\det(M_{k+1,k+1}) - a_{k+1,k}\det(M_{k+1,k}).$$ So far, all you've used is the definition of ##P_n(\lambda)## and what you know about determinants. Once you argue that ##M_{k+1,k+1}## has the correct form, you can invoke the induction hypothesis to replace ##M_{k+1,k+1}## by ##P_k(\lambda)##. You follow similar steps when evaluating ##\det(M_{k+1,k})## and writing it in terms of ##P_{k-1}(\lambda)##.

Likes ognik
Thanks Vela, I see I was neglecting the other terms, careless me :-(. Incidentally I did research det [ ] and found conflicting views, most said it was 1, some said undefined... what's your view on det [ ]?

Please critique the 1st part below ... I have been struggling to get the 2nd term (that weakness working with index notation...), will come back to it once I know my approach is correct. Thanks.

1. For the (always square) matrix Ak+1, Mk, k = determinant of matrix remaining after deleting the highest, ie (k+1)'th, row and column. This is clearly |Ak|

2. We are given Pn(λ) = |An|. Expanding by the highest row (k+1), with c indicating columns, the definition of a determinant gives us
$$ {P}_{k+1}\left(\lambda\right)=det\left[{A}_{k+1}\right] = \sum_{c=k+1}^{1} {(-1)}^{k+1+c}.{a}_{k+1,c}.{M}_{k+1,c} $$
We know that ak+1,c = 0 for c ≤ k+1 (tri-diagonal matrix), so the above sum can be written as:
$$ \left({a}_{k+1,k+1} - \lambda\right).{M}_{k+1,k+1} - {a}_{k+1,k}.{M}_{k+1,k} + 0 $$
3. From 1. and 2. above we can write the first term as :
$$ \left({a}_{k+1,k+1} - \lambda\right).{M}_{k,k} = \left({a}_{k+1,k+1} - \lambda\right).det({A}_{k}) = \left({a}_{k+1,k+1} - \lambda\right).{P}_{k}\left(\lambda\right) $$
Showing that $$ {P}_{k+1} (\lambda) = {M}_{k,k} $$

Hi again, hoping someone can verify my induction proof above - with the base case at n=3 proved, and the formula assumed correct for k, k-1 and k-2, in the part above I am trying to prove the k+1th case. I think its right, but it feels a little clumsy ...

Related to Derive characteristic equation recursion relation

1. What is the characteristic equation recursion relation?

The characteristic equation recursion relation is a mathematical equation used to find the roots of a recurrence relation, which is a mathematical sequence where each term is defined in terms of previous terms.

2. How is the characteristic equation recursion relation derived?

The characteristic equation recursion relation is derived by setting the expression for the recurrence relation equal to zero and solving for the variable. This results in a polynomial equation, known as the characteristic equation, which can be used to find the roots of the recurrence relation.

3. What is the significance of the characteristic equation recursion relation?

The characteristic equation recursion relation is significant because it allows us to find the roots of a recurrence relation, which in turn can be used to determine the general solution for the recurrence relation. This is important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. Can the characteristic equation recursion relation be used for all types of recurrence relations?

Yes, the characteristic equation recursion relation can be used for all types of recurrence relations, including linear, nonlinear, and homogeneous. However, the method for solving the characteristic equation may vary depending on the type of recurrence relation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the characteristic equation recursion relation?

One limitation of using the characteristic equation recursion relation is that it can only be applied to linear recurrence relations. Additionally, the recurrence relation must have constant coefficients in order for the characteristic equation to be derived and solved.