Derive an expression for the applied field of a superconducting wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation ##\vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{H}## and the calculations of current and magnetic field in relation to it. The speaker is struggling to understand how to incorporate all the given variables into one equation and questions the division by the whole cross section. They also suggest drawing a sketch to visualize the flow of current and its direction in order to make the internal field zero.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
A piece of superconducting wire of length l and radius r is made from a material of critical current density ##j_c##. It is placed in a magnetic field ##B## which is applied parallel to the axis of the wire. The magnetic moment m is measured as B increases from zero up to a maximum ##B_{max}## and back again to zero. If a supercurrent flows in a thin layer of thickness ##\lambda## at the surface of the wire, derive an expression for the applied field at which the moment m changes discontinuously. You may assume that l >> r.
Relevant Equations
##\vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{H}##
##\oint \vec{H}\cdot d\vec{l} = i_c##
So far the best I've been able to come up with is to use ##\vec{B} = \mu_0 \vec{H}## which gives me
[tex]i_c = H 2\pi r[/tex]
[tex]j_c = \frac{H 2\pi r}{\pi r^2} = \frac{2H}{r} [/tex]
[tex]\therefore B = \mu_0 \frac{r j_c}{2}[/tex]
I'm fairly confident this is just terrible math and physics on my behalf but I'm struggling to see how to relate all the given variables into one unifying equation/

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you divide by the whole cross section? Current will only flow close to the boundary.

Did you draw a sketch? Where is current is flowing in which direction to make the internal field zero?

Related to Derive an expression for the applied field of a superconducting wire

1. What is a superconducting wire?

A superconducting wire is a wire made of a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain critical temperature.

2. How is the applied field of a superconducting wire expressed?

The applied field of a superconducting wire is typically expressed using the London equation, which relates the current density in the wire to the magnetic field applied to it.

3. What factors affect the applied field of a superconducting wire?

The applied field of a superconducting wire is affected by the material of the wire, the temperature at which it is cooled, and the magnitude and orientation of the external magnetic field.

4. What is the critical temperature of a superconducting wire?

The critical temperature of a superconducting wire is the temperature at which it transitions from a normal conducting state to a superconducting state. This temperature varies depending on the material used for the wire.

5. How is the applied field related to the critical temperature in a superconducting wire?

The applied field is inversely proportional to the critical temperature in a superconducting wire. This means that as the temperature decreases, the wire is able to sustain a higher applied field before losing its superconducting properties.