Derive an Equation for Period of Ring Pendulum

In summary, Homework Statement Newton's Second Law states that torque is equal to the force multiplied by the distance from the center of mass. Arrhenius7991 was trying to find the equation for the period of a ring pendulum for small oscillations about the pivot point, but was stuck. After some failed attempts, he found the equation for the torque.
Arrhenius7991

Homework Statement

Apply the physical pendulum equation to a ring pivoted on its edge to derive the equation for the period of a ring pendulum for small oscillations about the pivot point. Include a diagram showing the restoring torque acting on a ring pendulum displaced from equilibrium.

Homework Equations

T=2∏√(I/mgd) physical pendulum equation
I=I(COM)+mR^(2) Parallel Axis Thm

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Arrhenius7991! Welcome to PF! :wink:

What is the torque?

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Ʃ(Torque)=Iα
From Newton's Second Law: (Torque)=mgsinθ
And I is given by Parallel Axis Thm: I=I(COM)+MR^(2), and I(COM)=MR^(2), the moment of inertia for a thin ring.
α=ω^(2)x(max)
ω=√(κ/I)=√(κ/2MR^(2))
So, Mgsinθ=(2MR^(2))(ω^(2)x(max))
Mgsinθ=(2MR^(2))((κ/(2MR^(2))x(max))
Mgsinθ=(κ/x(max))

And now I'm stuck.

I know the equation ofr the period of a ring pendulum is: T=2∏√(I/κ)

Arrhenius7991 said:
Ʃ(Torque)=Iα
From Newton's Second Law: (Torque)=mgsinθ
No, that's a force. What do you need to multiply it by to make it the torque?
α=ω^(2)x(max)
I don't understand that equation. What exactly are x and x(max) there? It appears to be saying [itex]\ddot\theta = constant ×\dot\theta^2[/itex], which doesn't look like SHM to me.

T(Torque) = -κθ.

And α(alpha)=angular acceleration=ω^(2)x(max), ω=angular speed, and x(max) is the amplitude.

Arrhenius7991 said:
And α(alpha)=angular acceleration=ω^(2)x(max), ω=angular speed, and x(max) is the amplitude.
I have no idea where you would get such an equation from.
In SHM, θ=Asin(ct), say. So ## ω(t) = \dot\theta = Ac{cos(ct)} ## and ## α(t) = \ddot\theta = -Ac^2 sin(ct) = -c^2θ(t)##. I see no way that this will satisfy ## α(t) = B ω^2(t) = BA^2c^2 cos^2(ct)##

Ok. So now what?

Let's try the torque once more. You wrote Torque=mgsinθ. I explained that was the force, and you needed to multiply it by something to get torque. Instead of doing that you responded "(Torque) = -κθ".
If you want to know the torque about some point due to a force, what do you multiply the force by?

You'd multiple the force by the distance the point is from the center of mass. Given by r. So, Torque=vector(r) x(Cross-Product) F(Force).

Arrhenius7991 said:
You'd multiple the force by the distance the point is from the center of mass.
If you do that as a vector cross product (as you wrote next) then fine. But as scalars, it would be the distance from the axis to the line of force (i.e. measured perpendicularly to the force). Equivalently, you can use the whole distance but take the component of the force perpendicular to that.
So what do you get for the torque?

Torque would be mgrsinθ, r being the radius of the ring.

Arrhenius7991 said:
Torque would be mgrsinθ, r being the radius of the ring.

ok, and you can call that mgrθ (for small θ)

now write the τ = Iθ'' equation …

what do you get? :smile:

(and remember that your axis of rotation is parallel to a diameter of the ring, not the axis of the ring)

Related to Derive an Equation for Period of Ring Pendulum

What is a ring pendulum?

A ring pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a ring or hoop suspended from a fixed point. It is often used in physics demonstrations and experiments to study the motion of a pendulum.

What is the period of a ring pendulum?

The period of a ring pendulum refers to the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from one end of its arc to the other. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of the pendulum.

How do you derive an equation for the period of a ring pendulum?

The equation for the period of a ring pendulum can be derived by applying the principles of simple harmonic motion to the motion of the pendulum. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the pendulum and using the equation T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors can affect the period of a ring pendulum?

The period of a ring pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the ring, and the strength of the gravitational field. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the period.

How is the period of a ring pendulum used in real-world applications?

The period of a ring pendulum has practical uses in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to measure the strength of gravitational fields, to study the behavior of structures under stress, and to understand the motion of celestial bodies.