Derivatives of the Lagrangian in curved space

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of taking derivatives of the free particle Lagrangian using q^i-dot and q^j-dot as velocities and the metric g_ij. The expert explains how to cancel out the factor of 1/2 and clarifies that the process involves a change of variables and not just simple derivatives. The expert also highlights the importance of not assuming that i and j are equal and shows how this process works.
rocawear4321
Follow along at http://star-www.st-and.ac.uk/~hz4/gr/GRlec4+5+6.pdf and go to PDF page 9 or page 44 of the "slides." I'm trying to see how to go from the first to the third line. If we write the free particle Lagrangian and use q^i-dot and q^j-dot as the velocities and metric g_ij, how is it we cancel out the factor of 1/2 when when take the q^l-dot derivative? It looks like more than just a simple change of variables from j to l. If instead we took dL/dq^j-dot I'd expect to get 0.5m x g_ij x q^i-dot . I don't think I can assume I'm only taking derivatives when i=j, so how does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
## \frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^l}(\frac 1 2 g_{ij} \dot{q}^i \dot{q}^j)=[\frac 1 2 g_{ij}(\frac{\partial \dot{q}^i}{\partial \dot{q}^l} \dot{q}^j+\dot{q}^i \frac{\partial \dot{q}^j}{\partial \dot{q}^l})]=[\frac 1 2 g_{ij}(\delta^i_l \dot{q}^j+\dot{q}^i \delta^j_l)] =[\frac 1 2(g_{lj} \dot{q}^j+g_{il}\dot{q}^i)]=[\frac 1 2(g_{il} \dot{q}^i+g_{il}\dot{q}^i)]=g_{il}\dot{q}^i##

Last edited:
Shyan said:
## \frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{q}^l}(\frac 1 2 g_{ij} \dot{q}^i \dot{q}^j)=[\frac 1 2 g_{ij}(\frac{\partial \dot{q}^i}{\partial \dot{q}^l} \dot{q}^j+\dot{q}^i \frac{\partial \dot{q}^j}{\partial \dot{q}^l})]=[\frac 1 2 g_{ij}(\delta^i_l \dot{q}^j+\dot{q}^i \delta^j_l)] =[\frac 1 2(g_{lj} \dot{q}^j+g_{il}\dot{q}^i)]=[\frac 1 2(g_{il} \dot{q}^i+g_{il}\dot{q}^i)]=g_{il}\dot{q}^i##
Thank you a ton! That was clear and helpful.

Related to Derivatives of the Lagrangian in curved space

1. What is the Lagrangian in curved space?

The Lagrangian in curved space is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of generalized coordinates and their derivatives. It takes into account the effects of curvature in spacetime, which is important in understanding the behavior of objects in gravitational fields.

2. How are derivatives of the Lagrangian calculated in curved space?

The derivatives of the Lagrangian in curved space are calculated using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of equations that describe the motion of a system based on the Lagrangian. These equations take into account the effects of curvature in spacetime and allow for the calculation of derivatives with respect to the generalized coordinates.

3. What is the importance of derivatives of the Lagrangian in curved space?

The derivatives of the Lagrangian in curved space are important because they provide a way to describe the dynamics of physical systems in curved spacetime. They allow for the calculation of equations of motion, which can help us understand the behavior of objects in gravitational fields and other curved space environments.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to describe all physical systems in curved space?

The Lagrangian can be used to describe a wide range of physical systems in curved space, including particles, fluids, and fields. However, there are some systems that may require more complex mathematical frameworks, such as quantum field theory, to accurately describe their behavior in curved space.

5. How does the Lagrangian in curved space differ from the Lagrangian in flat space?

The Lagrangian in curved space differs from the Lagrangian in flat space because it takes into account the effects of curvature in spacetime. This means that the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian will be different in curved space compared to flat space, as they must incorporate the effects of gravity and curvature.