Derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct use of the chain rule in physics equations, specifically in finding the derivative of (v^2) with respect to x. The chain rule is applied to show that the derivative of velocity (v) with respect to time (t) is equal to half the derivative of (v^2) with respect to x. This use of the chain rule is confirmed as the correct approach, with no other alternative methods identified.
TheWonderer1
I forgot where I came across this and why I got so determined to figure it out but I wanted to ask about this d/dx(v^2) business.

My question is to solidify my understanding of the chain rule with physics equations (sorry for crap terminology). Therefore, I know I use it and do the math as
d(v^2)/dv * dv/dx = 2v x dv/dx = 2 dx/dt * dv/dx= 2 dv/dt = 2a. I just sort of do that automatically but I’m unsure of the “why”.

Basically, if possible, could you explain to me the chain rule being used for these sort of equations? I understand the use for something like the derivative of (3x+1)^7 = 21(3x+1)^6.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easier to see what's going on if you go backwards from what you have. The definitions of velocity and acceleration are
$$v=\frac{dx}{dt}~;~~~a=\frac{dv}{dt}$$
Apply the chain rule
$$a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dx}(v^2)$$Does this make sense?

Likes FactChecker, vanhees71 and lekh2003
It is clear. So I think I used the chain rule correctly in my case. I know I got to the right answer just want to be sure my reasoning was on point and I didn’t misuse the chain rule.

Could I have done the chain rule differently? Just trying to get further concrete understanding.

TheWonderer1 said:
Could I have done the chain rule differently?
You did do it differently. You started from d(v2)/dx and you showed that it is equal to 2a. I started from a and showed that it is equal to (1/2)d(v2/dx. Both ways are equally correct and lead to the same equation.

Oops, to ask my question more explicitly we have two ways are there other ways?

TheWonderer1 said:
Oops, to ask my question more explicitly we have two ways are there other ways?
I can't think of any. You have to start from the definition of the acceleration and there is a limited choice of what to do next if you want to introduce the velocity in the expression and use the chain rule.

1. What is the meaning of the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position?

The derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position represents the rate of change of the square of velocity with respect to a change in position. In other words, it measures how quickly the velocity squared is changing as the position changes.

2. How do you find the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position?

To find the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). In this case, n = 2, so the derivative is 2*v^(2-1) = 2v.

3. What is the relationship between the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position and acceleration?

The derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position is equal to 2 times the acceleration. This can be seen from the equation a = dv/dt = d/dt(v^2) = 2v * dv/dt. Therefore, the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position is directly related to acceleration.

4. Why is it important to understand the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position?

Understanding the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and robotics. It allows us to analyze the relationship between velocity and position, and also helps in predicting the motion of objects.

5. Can the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position be negative?

Yes, the derivative of (v)^2 with respect to position can be negative. This indicates that as the position increases, the velocity squared is decreasing. In other words, the object is slowing down. However, the magnitude of the derivative will always be positive since the square of a negative velocity is positive.