Derivative of bessel function informal proof

In summary, the problem is that the student does not remember how to differentiate the Bessel function. He is close, but needs to remember a property of exponents/factorials.
skate_nerd
Not exactly sure where this post belongs, but it is a problem from my P.D.E. class so I'll leave it here. Feel free to move it if you like...

I need to prove the differentiation theorem for the Bessel function, 1st kind. I've gotten considerably close, but the last bit is really making my brain itch for the last few days. I'm at a roadblock. It would be nice if somebody told me not just the answer, but the property of exponents/factorials that I am forgetting about that would lead me in the right direction.

So far I am pretty positive I did everything right, because I started with

$$\frac{d}{dz}J_m(z)=\frac{d}{dz}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(k+m)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m}$$
$$\frac{d}{dz}J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(2k+m)}{k!(k+m)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m-1}$$
$$\frac{d}{dz}J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{k}(k+(k+m))}{k!(k+m)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m-1}$$
Then using the fact that
$$\frac{k}{k!}=\frac{1}{(k-1)!}$$
and
$$\frac{(k+m)}{(k+m)!}=\frac{1}{(k+m-1)!}$$
I got to
$$\frac{d}{dz}J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2}[J_{m-1}(z)+\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{(k-1)!(k+m)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m-1}$$
This is why I think I've done everything right, because I at least got the first term of the formula right. Since I am trying to show ultimately that
$$\frac{d}{dz}J_m(z)=\frac{1}{2}[J_{m-1}(z)-J_{m+1}(z)]$$
Then this means I need to show that
$$\frac{1}{(k-1)!(k+m)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m-1}=-\frac{1}{k!(k+m+1)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m+1}$$
but I just really do not see how that is possible.

Any hints would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
skatenerd said:

This is off by a minus sign.

Then this means I need to show that
$$\frac{1}{(k-1)!(k+m)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m-1}=-\frac{1}{k!(k+m+1)!}(\frac{z}{2})^{2k+m+1}$$
but I just really do not see how that is possible.

That won't be true.
Substitute for instance $k=2, m=1$ and you'll see there's a mismatch.

When you say
is off by a minus sign, do you mean it is really supposed to be
$$\frac{(k+m)}{(k+m)!}=-\frac{1}{(k+m-1)!}$$
and if so, I don't see how that would be the case...

Also, I had an inkling that the last point I got to couldn't be right, but how do you explain how I got the first term of the formula? I had to have done that much right, wouldn't you say?

skatenerd said:
When you say
is off by a minus sign, do you mean it is really supposed to be
$$\frac{(k+m)}{(k+m)!}=-\frac{1}{(k+m-1)!}$$
and if so, I don't see how that would be the case...

Sorry.
My mistake. It is correct.

I believe the key is to match the powers of $\frac z 2$.

Substitute $k = l - 1$ in:
\begin{aligned}J_{m+1}
&= \sum_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k}{k!(k+m+1)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m+1} \\
&= \sum_{l=1} \frac{(-1)^{l-1}}{(l-1)!(l+m)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2l+m-1} \\
&= -\sum_{k=1} \frac{(-1)^k}{(k-1)!(k+m)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m-1}
\end{aligned}

Now that we have matching powers:
\begin{aligned}
J_{m-1} - J_{m+1}
&= \sum_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k}{k!(k+m-1)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m-1}
+ \sum_{k=1} \frac{(-1)^k}{(k-1)!(l+m)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m-1} \\
&= \frac 1 {(m-1)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{m-1}
+ \sum_{k=1} (-1)^k \left( \frac{1}{k!(k+m-1)!} + \frac{1}{(k-1)!(k+m)!} \right)
\left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m-1} \\
&= \frac 1 {(m-1)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{m-1}
+ \sum_{k=1} \frac{(-1)^k (2k+m)}{k!(k+m)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m-1} \\
&= \sum_{k=0} \frac{(-1)^k (2k+m)}{k!(k+m)!} \left( \frac z 2 \right)^{2k+m-1}
\end{aligned}

How did you get that negative sign in your working out of \(J_{m+1}(z)\)?

skatenerd said:
How did you get that negative sign in your working out of \(J_{m+1}(z)\)?

$(-1)^{l-1} = -1 \cdot (-1)^l$

Ah, my bad. I should have noticed that.

Well thanks for the idea though! Changing the index of the sum seems obvious now, since it doesn't change anything about the final result for the Bessel function. I just worked through it and got the desired result, actually substituting \(k=l+1\) instead. Finally, that problem is done (Whew)

Related to Derivative of bessel function informal proof

What is the derivative of the Bessel function?

The derivative of the Bessel function is a mathematical function that represents the rate of change of the Bessel function with respect to its input variable.

How is the derivative of the Bessel function calculated?

The derivative of the Bessel function can be calculated using the following formula:
d/dx [Jv(x)] = (1/2)(Jv-1(x) - Jv+1(x)), where Jv(x) is the Bessel function of order v and x is the input variable.

What is the purpose of an informal proof for the derivative of the Bessel function?

An informal proof for the derivative of the Bessel function is used to provide a conceptual understanding of the mathematical concept and to help simplify the calculation of the derivative.

What are the key steps in an informal proof for the derivative of the Bessel function?

The key steps in an informal proof for the derivative of the Bessel function include defining the Bessel function, applying the definition of derivative, simplifying the expression using trigonometric identities, and using known properties of the Bessel function to arrive at the final result.

Are there any limitations to using an informal proof for the derivative of the Bessel function?

Yes, an informal proof may not provide a rigorous mathematical proof and may not be suitable for more complex calculations. It is important to use formal proofs and mathematical techniques for accuracy and precision in advanced applications.