Derivative of a vector function

In summary, the problem involves calculating the first derivative of a vector function s at the mean of the variable vector v, in order to approximate the variance of s. This is necessary for determining the probability that the observed image comes from a certain shape through the use of the delta method.
alnoy
Hey,
Can somebody help me on this one. I feel out of my depth and have to solve it somehow.

I have a variable vector v=[v1 v2]T, a constant vector vc = [vc1 vc2]T, a scalar variable d and a vector function:

s= d/(Vs/V-1)

I need the first derivative ds/dv at a point of the mean of v to use in Taylor series expansion.

Any sugestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
alnoy said:
Hey,
Can somebody help me on this one. I feel out of my depth and have to solve it somehow.

I have a variable vector v=[v1 v2]T, a constant vector vc = [vc1 vc2]T, a scalar variable d and a vector function:

s= d/(Vs/V-1)
I don't understand what this means. It looks like you are dividing vectors.

I need the first derivative ds/dv at a point of the mean of v to use in Taylor series expansion.

Any sugestions
What is "the mean of v"?
s maps v, in R2, to what? What space is s(v) in?

I will explain a bit more hope it clarifies the problem,

Everything is in x,y (euclidian space), v and vc are speeds of two bodies,i.e v1, vc1 are the x components and v2,vc2 are y components. d is some distance.
from the Kalman filter that tracks the body the spead is estimated as v but also has uncertainty. The uncertainty is given by the 2x2 variance-covariance matrix Pv.

s gives the error(distortion) in the seen image when measured with a certain sensor.
I want to know the var to be able to deside whether the image that the sensor prodices comes from a certain shape or not (with certain probability).

Var[S(v)], can be approximated through the delta method (Oehlert 1992) that uses second-order Taylor expansion in matrix form which calls for the expected value of v E(v) so I assumed that this is the mean (but maybe I am wrong in this)

Var[S(V)]≈S' (E[V])Var[V](S' (E[V]))T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_method

Oehlert, G.W., 1992. A Note on the Delta Method. American Statistician, 46(1), pp.27–29. Available at: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2684406?origin=crossref.

Related to Derivative of a vector function

What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that takes a set of values as input and produces an output vector. The input values can be scalars, vectors, or a combination of both. The output vector can have any number of dimensions.

What is the derivative of a vector function?

The derivative of a vector function is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original vector function with respect to its input values. It is a vector of the same dimensions as the output of the original function and describes the direction and magnitude of change at any given point.

How is the derivative of a vector function calculated?

The derivative of a vector function is calculated using the same rules and formulas as the derivative of a single-variable function. Each component of the output vector is differentiated separately, and the resulting derivatives are combined to form the new vector function.

Why is the derivative of a vector function important?

The derivative of a vector function is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior of the original function. It can be used to determine the slope, curvature, and extrema of the function, as well as to solve optimization problems and model physical systems.

What are some real-world applications of the derivative of a vector function?

The derivative of a vector function has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. Some examples include analyzing the motion of objects in space, optimizing the design of structures, predicting stock market trends, and creating realistic animations in video games.